New? Arriving? (09 Aug 2021)

Required Reading:

If it is stickied, it is stickied for a reason. Please read it.

× Stories about the Original Timeline (which runs from Fall 2006 to Spring 2010) can be found here. Also in the OT are those stories that are outside the main time frame set for them but whose protagonists are part of the student body during this time.

Inaba 4: A Light On A Distant Shore by Rose Redd

More
04 Apr 2023 00:00 #2732 by DanZilla
Inaba 4: A Light On A Distant Shore can be found in the Gen 1 section or by using the link below... and please remember our authors are doing this for the response they get... please leave comments where you can for appreciated stories or if you have anything to bring to the conversation of written word and readers.

Inaba 4: A Light On A Distant Shore
The following user(s) said Thank You: Schol-R-LEA, null0trooper, Wavehead, Mister D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2023 03:04 - 04 Apr 2023 03:09 #2733 by Commander Knight
I am only halfway through the story, and I am already not feeling confident about Lia's continued existence as part of this story. Also, how do you survive the direct attention of a battleship?!?! Those things can delete small islands.
Last edit: 04 Apr 2023 03:09 by Commander Knight.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rosalie Redd

More
04 Apr 2023 03:11 #2734 by Rosalie Redd
Especially an Iowa-Class battleship.

More
04 Apr 2023 04:38 #2735 by Dreamer
SPOILER ALERT
Below is a stream of conscious commentary I type up as I read the story. There will be details from the story included in it. If you have not read the story yet and don't wish to have details of it spoiled, read no further.

Inaba 4: A Light On A Distant Shore comments
Warning: Spoiler!

Thank You for the story comments appreciated and help me know they are being read and liked. :-) Note: My story comments can't nor are trying to replace reading the stories, simply my way of enjoying them and letting the authors know I enjoy them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rosalie Redd, null0trooper, Dan Formerly Domoviye

More
04 Apr 2023 05:53 - 04 Apr 2023 06:07 #2736 by Rosalie Redd
Thanks Dreamer. I was bouncing up and down in my chair, waiting for your thoughts.
How deep the connection is will surely be tested...

For a bad break with multiple small chips and fractures, it'd be impossible to set that and expect it to come out like before, it is probably fairly common in high regen patients in that situation to amputate. Fortunately she is a Regen 3.

Lumberjack 's name is, of course, a play on Paul Bunyan.

It almost assuredly WAS Hedgeworth Industries that payed the University to "evict" the team.

The storm and the rescue is where the title of the story comes from, and of course, relates to the Quotation from the Gordon Lightfoot song.

Interesting side note: I hinted at Jeanne D'Arc being a descendent of Genevieve, Heather stated in one of Chou's stories that Joan of Arc was a Handmaiden. So it's quite possible she was the first Mutant Handmaiden.

I should have been more clear with this part. When sneaking back on the 9th, she hadn't been out with boys, she was with Genevieve, the comment about boys was referring to the ones she had slept with in the past.

Darn, I was hoping you would think it was a federal agent of some sort, and a crime scene investigation... you are too smart for me.

Poor Tiffany. She isn't bad, just dumb as a post, and easily manipulated.

The mystery third person she sensed was likely either Kayda or Chou.

Duluth is on Lake Superior, so lake-effect snow is not uncommon, and can pile up rapidly.

slight mistake on your part. Silvia Burrows is Lady Penumbra, So it was her, Roger the best pupper, Nikki's Dad, and Deputy Director Tanner in the room.

The "do not open" box contains... toys. yes... just some toys...

As for her original tongue being able to stretch, that's new. And interestingly, as well... she didn't react to the taste of the raw bird either...
Last edit: 04 Apr 2023 06:07 by Rosalie Redd.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer

More
04 Apr 2023 08:41 #2737 by Commander Knight
I just don't see this ending well for Lia. If she doesn't stop and continues down this path, her vanity and envy will be her doom like so many before her.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rosalie Redd

More
04 Apr 2023 23:55 #2738 by Naldru
Even the 16 inch guns on the Iowa class battleships require decent spotters for effective fire. If the battleship doesn't know exactly where you are (within a few hundred feet), it's going to have problems hitting you. Of course, you can open up on an area of a few square miles, making it look the surface of the moon, but that may miss a single person sized target.

I had assumed that she had summoned some giant kaigu, and that had been the target of the battleship guns.

More
05 Apr 2023 00:23 #2739 by Rosalie Redd
Well, considering she's still human, even the Oerlikon 20 mm and Bofors 40 mm anti-aircraft guns would be hazardous for her.

More
08 Apr 2023 21:16 - 08 Apr 2023 21:18 #2740 by Maladyusted
Oh, so the Paul Bunyan from the previous story was real! And if Rose learned more about local super history, she would've connected the dots? But then again, not like Carrie would want to talk about her old boyfriend?

Story comments

As for her original tongue being able to stretch, that's new. And interestingly, as well... she didn't react to the taste of the raw bird either...

Well, possibly a literally demonic tongue, just able to read her thoughts and respond accordingly?

In other hopeful thoughts:

Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 08 Apr 2023 21:18 by Maladyusted.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer

More
31 May 2023 14:09 #2838 by Wavehead
Enjoying your story immensely and looking forward to more chapters when your Muse is cooperative 🙂
The following user(s) said Thank You: DanZilla, Dan Formerly Domoviye

Time to create page: 0.080 seconds