New? Arriving? (09 Aug 2021)

Required Reading:

If it is stickied, it is stickied for a reason. Please read it.

× This section is for Second Generation stories, predominantly from the student body from Fall of 2016 to Spring of 2020.

Born in Fire

More
30 Nov 2021 01:27 #869 by DanZilla
Born in Fire was created by DanZilla
Part 1 is now available... leave your feedback here
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dan Formerly Domoviye

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Nov 2021 04:28 #871 by Dreamer
Replied by Dreamer on topic Born in Fire
SPOILER ALERT
Below is a stream of conscious commentary I type up as I read the story. There will be details from the story included in it. If you have not read the story yet and don't wish to have details of it spoiled, read no further.

Born in Fire Part 1 comments
Warning: Spoiler!

Thank You for the story comments appreciated and help me know they are being read and liked. :-) Note: My story comments can't nor are trying to replace reading the stories, simply my way of enjoying them and letting the authors know I enjoy them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Astrodragon

More
30 Nov 2021 07:51 #872 by Astrodragon
Replied by Astrodragon on topic Born in Fire
Dreamer, the scene at the end is when Abruxes implanted the parasite, it wasn't in Rob earlier.
Everything clear now? :D
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer

More
30 Nov 2021 08:52 #873 by Dreamer
Replied by Dreamer on topic Born in Fire

Dreamer, the scene at the end is when Abruxes implanted the parasite, it wasn't in Rob earlier.
Yes, everything is clear now. But now that just leaves more questions, like what went wrong in the experiment in the first place?

Thank You for the story comments appreciated and help me know they are being read and liked. :-) Note: My story comments can't nor are trying to replace reading the stories, simply my way of enjoying them and letting the authors know I enjoy them.

More
30 Nov 2021 16:12 #874 by Astrodragon

Yes, everything is clear now. But now that just leaves more questions, like what went wrong in the experiment in the first place?

Oh, that's simple to explain, it's - ooh, look, SQUIRREL!! :evil:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dan Formerly Domoviye, Dreamer, Valentine

More
30 Nov 2021 16:20 - 30 Nov 2021 16:21 #875 by Astrodragon
Dreamer, a few comments on some of the things you mentioned.
The inhabitants of the plane of fire tend to be very long lived, so overall (there are exeptions) conservative.
It doesnt help Thulia that as they (re. above) dont have many children, she stands out more.
There is some bias against humans (particularly among the elder, they have long memories and little idea of how humans have changed over time.
Because of the low birth rate, the Academy has relatively few students at any time (compared to Earth numbees); its not a modern US school, while it seems old fashions (and with tighter disciple), this is hardly unusual; in many countries even today.
Humans have stories about summoned beings tricking or exploiting them. But there is the other pov...
' At least she didn't go for any of the stuff seen in the NSFW category for those kinds of images.' - why do you think that? She's a curious teenage girl :dry:
Last edit: 30 Nov 2021 16:21 by Astrodragon.

More
30 Nov 2021 21:24 #877 by mhalpern
Replied by mhalpern on topic Born in Fire

Dreamer, a few comments on some of the things you mentioned.
The inhabitants of the plane of fire tend to be very long lived, so overall (there are exeptions) conservative.
It doesnt help Thulia that as they (re. above) dont have many children, she stands out more.
There is some bias against humans (particularly among the elder, they have long memories and little idea of how humans have changed over time.
Because of the low birth rate, the Academy has relatively few students at any time (compared to Earth numbees); its not a modern US school, while it seems old fashions (and with tighter disciple), this is hardly unusual; in many countries even today.
Humans have stories about summoned beings tricking or exploiting them. But there is the other pov...
' At least she didn't go for any of the stuff seen in the NSFW category for those kinds of images.' - why do you think that? She's a curious teenage girl :dry:
it's sometimes said (with some actual evidence to back it up) that support of science and progress happens one funeral at a time, as opposition dies.

Micro scenes and bad ideas are freely adoptable

More
30 Nov 2021 22:37 #878 by mhalpern

Maybe the human part of her DNA has a bit of a devisor trait or similar. It didn't go completely right because it couldn't, it would explain her various projects exceeding what's available conventionally, and the experiment being nearly successful

More
30 Nov 2021 22:40 #879 by Astrodragon
Thulia a devisor?
I couldn't possibly comment...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, mhalpern

More
01 Dec 2021 00:05 #880 by mhalpern

Thulia a devisor?
If the shoe fits...

More
01 Dec 2021 00:09 #881 by Astrodragon

Thulia a devisor?
If the shoe fits...

But she doesn't wear shoes...

More
01 Dec 2021 00:51 #882 by mhalpern

Thulia a devisor?
If the shoe fits...

But she doesn't wear shoes...

I suspect she doesn't wear much of anything if she can avoid it, still the thing is as her "normal" tech is basically the equivalent of high level gadget/devise tech on Earth, the only way to tell if she was a devisor is the reproducibility test.

More
01 Dec 2021 00:53 #883 by Astrodragon
Well, you'll just have to wait and see how that goes. Maybe Whateley will off to give her power testing
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, mhalpern

More
01 Dec 2021 02:09 #884 by mhalpern
i mean her scrying bowls are quantum entanglement communicators, which as a consequence of the uncertainty principle really shouldn't be possible, i don't pretend to understand the specifics, but it basically means the most practical useful application is to generate encryption keys that are damn near unbreakable. as anything you do to influence the entangled particles may break the entanglement

More
01 Dec 2021 02:46 - 01 Dec 2021 04:29 #886 by Court
Replied by Court on topic Born in Fire
Quantum engtanglement communicators are certainly possible. The most successful test that I am aware of covered a distance of over 1,000 km. See Yin, J., et. al, Nature v 582, no 7813, 2020, p 501.
Last edit: 01 Dec 2021 04:29 by Court.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mister D

Time to create page: 0.090 seconds