New? Arriving? (09 Aug 2021)

Required Reading:

If it is stickied, it is stickied for a reason. Please read it.

× This section is for Second Generation stories, predominantly from the student body from Fall of 2016 to Spring of 2020.

A Dragon's Tail (Part 2)

More
22 Feb 2022 03:11 #1342 by DanZilla
A New story by Astrodragon... please leave comments below
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mister D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Feb 2022 03:17 #1343 by mhalpern
Replied by mhalpern on topic A Dragon's Tail (Part 1)
You know I have to wonder if part of why Thulia couldn't tell Morgana she's coming as a student is for the benefit of the Whately faculty betting pool. I mean its the unwritten rule of Whately, EVERYTHING is biddable. 

Micro scenes and bad ideas are freely adoptable

More
22 Feb 2022 05:05 #1344 by Dreamer
Replied by Dreamer on topic A Dragon's Tail (Part 1)
SPOILER ALERT
Below is a stream of conscious commentary I type up as I read the story. There will be details from the story included in it. If you have not read the story yet and don't wish to have details of it spoiled, read no further.

A Dragon's Tail Part 1 comments
Warning: Spoiler!

Thank You for the story comments appreciated and help me know they are being read and liked. :-) Note: My story comments can't nor are trying to replace reading the stories, simply my way of enjoying them and letting the authors know I enjoy them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: null0trooper, Dan Formerly Domoviye, mhalpern

More
22 Feb 2022 07:59 #1345 by Valentine
Replied by Valentine on topic A Dragon's Tail (Part 1)
I wasn't expecting Thulia to attend Whateley. 

First class she needs to take is Blending In 101. 

I wonder what the Academy is going to pay to use her computer while she's at Whateley? She might just get her Mithril spear.

On earth for less than a day and already in her first superhero fight. She's making Ayla look like a slacker.

More
22 Feb 2022 10:18 #1347 by mhalpern

I wasn't expecting Thulia to attend Whateley. 

First class she needs to take is Blending In 101. 

I wonder what the Academy is going to pay to use her computer while she's at Whateley? She might just get her Mithril spear.

On earth for less than a day and already in her first superhero fight. She's making Ayla look like a slacker.
She might be able to afford to commission one of her new teachers.

More
22 Feb 2022 10:50 - 22 Feb 2022 10:51 #1348 by FallenHawk
Replied by FallenHawk on topic A Dragon's Tail (Part 1)
From north a mighty dragon comes. 
Last edit: 22 Feb 2022 10:51 by FallenHawk.

More
22 Feb 2022 14:28 #1349 by Astrodragon
Thank you as ever for your review, Dreamer. A few comments on it...

She calls all that nothing much, she definitely sounds like a devisor to me.

You'll have to wait and see what her power testing reveals.

Arranging for Thulia to go to Whateley Academy, why do I see increased hijinks in the future?

Now really, she's going to study and be a good student! Honestly...

I wonder if any of those ice and cold monsters are famous or well-known in mythology.

Maybe, it might come out at some time in the future.

Acolyte Grenstxaripotx

I don't even want to try and pronounce that name.

Two clicks and a growl :D

You're a gadgeteer and/or devisor, Thulia. Just waiting until she gets to the powers testing,, Thulia might be less enthused after a day of that.

It's going to be a full day, as well. More than one form, plus a long session with Grimes. And that's before anyone thinks about checking out her gear.

There were several reasons why Thulia had been selected, and while of course nothing might come of the ones not discussed, it would be best if the girl and her family knew nothing of them yet.

Bad idea, those kinds of secrets tend to blow up in your face.

No idea what you're talking about. Really. Honestly.

And the file confirms what Grimes already knows, revealing about Thulia's visit to Whateley with Morgana the other day. Thulia isn't in the same class as Sara Waite, do they mean power-wise, entity classification, or something else?

Thulia is nothingv like the power level of Sarah, and she's not a GOO either.

5 pm, A.des cantons-de-l'Est highway, Quebec

Magog,, who names a place Magog?

Canadian's apparently - it's a real town!

Thulia nodded, her attention still avidly fixed on the robbery. This was so much better than television!

*hits head on desk*

She's a teenager... :D

Oooo, thinking Jeanne and Thulia are just some random fools, thinking they are fools is your first mistake, Pale Wendigo.

Well  its not like they expected to find supers in a small town like this, its one of the reasons they chose it. And no supersuits to give them away.

He has never faced a hero ready and willing to kill their opponent to end their threat I bet.

Well, Thulia wasn't intending to kill him deliberately, but you mess with a dragon, you gotta accept the risk.

Aww, I wanted to learn about her more powered-up form too.

You'll get to know a lot more about that when she goes through power testing.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, mhalpern

More
22 Feb 2022 14:45 #1350 by mhalpern
she's probably a gadgeteer. Her quantum computer seems stable outside of her care, and she has to rely on the same materials and similar processes as anyone else. Caitlin has been described as the magical equivalent of a high level devisor, her creations are stable, but she notably can "cheat" when it comes to materials, for example using artificial diamonds in processes that would require natural diamonds for anyone else. Siverth described her as having the "ability to extrapolate and derive advances" she's not working outside their technical understanding, just going further with it. This is essentially the key functional difference between a gadgeteer and a devisor, because magic is part of her base tool kit, Eldritch would probably have to observe that part of her powers testing, possibly even design it. 

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer

More
22 Feb 2022 15:02 #1351 by mhalpern
On Thulia's definition of "not much" gadgeteers have a habit of underselling themselves too, sometimes more than the devisors. 

More
22 Feb 2022 15:10 #1352 by Astrodragon
One thing that hints at a gageteer/devisor trait of some sort is her desire to keep creating new stuff. Of course, we wont really know until they test her, and even then just how she has it might not show in her genetics, Whateley Power testing tests for the result rather than the source.
Now you have to start wondering if mutant dragons get diedricks... :D
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, mhalpern, Mister D

More
22 Feb 2022 16:47 #1353 by mhalpern

One thing that hints at a gageteer/devisor trait of some sort is her desire to keep creating new stuff. Of course, we wont really know until they test her, and even then just how she has it might not show in her genetics, Whateley Power testing tests for the result rather than the source.
Now you have to start wondering if mutant dragons get diedricks... :D

Wouldn't that require establishing a relative baseline of dragon behavior? I mean some dragons are known for getting quite aggressive towards perceived and actual slights, if that's normal, or at least not uncommon, behavior it could be hard to distinguish that from Diedricks or similar. As for cause, manifestation can cause significant changes in genetics, without a larger sample size and preferably "before" samples, there's probably no way to be sure.

I'm focusing on the stability of her creations and any comparisons between them and what's standard on the fire plane, in trying to figure out which of the traits she has, while neither of those are sure differentiators, short of someone else trying to recreate what she has done, she's either a gadgeteer or a high-level devisor. Her experiment that led to Morgana's change could be considered a devise thing, but she also does advanced magic, which has also been used for similar ends in the past.

More
22 Feb 2022 16:54 #1354 by mhalpern
A thought occurred to me, Thulia's (full) dragon form will get her (and later Morgana) drafted into Flight 1, if Thulia is on the tech track, the training aircraft, and any flight rigs, might give her ideas. 

Also considering her hunting bow has a 15t draw weight, her MID being based on Human baseline might have interesting ratings there. 

More
22 Feb 2022 16:58 #1355 by Mister D
Replied by Mister D on topic A Dragon's Tail (Part 1)
It's interesting to see the magical version of a gadgeteer, rather than the usual human-technology version. :D

From the descriptions in the previous stories, Thulia's using the inherent properties of the materials she's making her tech from, so from a Plane-Of-Fire perspective, it's advanced technology, and not just brute-force magic... :D

Though as we saw from the first part of the story, she can do brute-force reasonably well. :D

Looking forward to see how the story unrolls. :D

More
22 Feb 2022 17:05 #1356 by Astrodragon

A thought occurred to me, Thulia's (full) dragon form will get her (and later Morgana) drafted into Flight 1, if Thulia is on the tech track, the training aircraft, and any flight rigs, might give her ideas. 

Also considering her hunting bow has a 15t draw weight, her MID being based on Human baseline might have interesting ratings there. 

Yes, Thulia will definately be put into Flight 1 - not for the flying, she's been flying since she was young - but for the things like the need to use and understand human equipment thats associated with it. Morgana isn't able to manifest her wings yet, but when she finally does she'll end up there too. Except she has to start from scratch...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, mhalpern

More
22 Feb 2022 17:19 #1357 by mhalpern

It's interesting to see the magical version of a gadgeteer, rather than the usual human-technology version. :D

From the descriptions in the previous stories, Thulia's using the inherent properties of the materials she's making her tech from, so from a Plane-Of-Fire perspective, it's advanced technology, and not just brute-force magic... :D

Though as we saw from the first part of the story, she can do brute-force reasonably well. :D

Looking forward to see how the story unrolls. :D
For high magic planes, magic and technology are likely inherently intertwined, from their perspective, it'd only be places like Earth where magic and the ability to use it aren't common that they'd be considered two separate things. It'd be like if you had a gadgeteer who learned to use magic like baselines, except with Thulia being a dragon, her magic baseline is equivalent to at least a mid-level wiz trait, and she's accustomed to using magic in her day to day. To us, a circuit diagram just has resistors, capacitors, diodes, transistors and such, for Thulia, that diagram could also include various spells.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, Mister D

Time to create page: 0.072 seconds