New? Arriving? (09 Aug 2021)

Required Reading:

If it is stickied, it is stickied for a reason. Please read it.

× Discussion space for stories in the Whateley Independent Fiction collection

The Light Between

More
15 Apr 2023 23:03 #2764 by Erisian
The Light Between was created by Erisian
The first part of Book 5, The Light Between, is posted. Hope the folks who have read the others enjoy the continuation. And if you haven't read any of the previous, and if you like long and epic-scale story-arcs, then this saga could be for you! It all starts in Into The Light...
The following user(s) said Thank You: null0trooper, Wavehead, Mister D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Apr 2023 05:04 #2765 by Angeldude
Replied by Angeldude on topic The Light Between
It has come! My thoughts on part 1, not necessarily in the order they appear in the text.

First things first, are you familiar with Xenosaga? That game has distinct terms for the material and spiritual planes. What are they called? _Real Number Domain and Imaginary Number Domain._ :P (These are also both separate from the Upper Domain.) Aside from that, I have many thoughts on ℂomplex numbers, and math in general. Long story short: ℂomplex numbers are for making things go spinny or for finding roots, and I describe math as being about symbols and their relations to each other, which could probably also be used to describe several forms of magic. "Imaginary" numbers were also literally a derogatory term to describe how useless mathematicians at the time thought they were, and it just stuck to the detriment of those trying to understand what they're actually useful for. Tamara's confusion is fully justified. Blame René Descartes.

I have a feeling every vehicle Jordan acquires from here on out is going to be white if for no other reason than for the sake of a joke.

Poor Cassius. I'm not sure I've seen more animosity between a host and their spirit since Bottle a Jinn.

> “Just tell us. What’s your, you know, type?”
>
> “Uh, QWERTY?”

I am ashamed that I've never seen that before. It's so good.

Something I forgot to mention in my comment on the previous installment was Jordan's weapons in Hell: Erglyk's crystal bow (may she rest in peace) and her makeshift spear. Who were Aradia's parents again? Diana aka Artemis, a very well known archer, and Ol' Lucy, who when wielding a weapon in this fic has been been shown with a spear of light. Jordan is literally using versions of both of her divine parents' weapons. Speaking of Erglyk, it was really heartwarming seeing Jordan compare Jenna to her.

Loved seeing her forge a proper home for all the fae that she'd inadvertently displaced. It's also nice to just end the first part with such a celebration to commemorate it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Erisian

More
18 Apr 2023 00:27 #2769 by Erisian
Replied by Erisian on topic The Light Between
Thanks Angeldude! Part 2 is up now too, hope you enjoy!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wavehead, Mister D

More
26 May 2023 02:18 #2827 by Angeldude
Replied by Angeldude on topic The Light Between
It is a little annoying seeing Amariel constantly manipulated into doing things. Here's hoping she gets harder to manipulate in the future.

Given that her whole thing is _being a virgin or possibly a lesbian,_ I can understand why ~~Feral~~ **Artemis** wouldn't be too happy to be reminded that she had a daughter at some point. (It's not your fault, but her having a kid honestly seems pretty OoC for her. Granted the dad ,_ so I'm not sure he would've taken 'no' for an answer.) I don't think there's been an official year that this takes place, but it's probably 2010 or later, since prior to that Jordan would've probably run into Erin Wynguard at _some_ point on campus prior to this point. Wonder if she'll mention her incarnate having gone to the same school.

I didn't comment on the previous chapter, but I wanted to mention how much I liked the scene of getting her dress. None of the 3 people felt redundant or like it could've worked with only 2 of them. Each contributed something different. Cecilia's design expertise, Tiffany's fashion sense and access to fabric, and of course Jordan herself to put it all together for the final result. Her ability to manifest it quickly also meant they could rapidly iterate on the design until it was _just right._

More
31 May 2023 13:56 #2835 by Wavehead
Replied by Wavehead on topic The Light Between
Really enjoying your series of stories and I’m eager for more 🙂

More
31 May 2023 22:14 - 07 Jun 2023 01:48 #2839 by Erisian
Thank you, Wavehead! And thank you Angeldude too! :)

The next two parts are now up! Two more to go...
Last edit: 07 Jun 2023 01:48 by Erisian.

More
16 Jun 2023 23:10 #2891 by Erisian
Part 7 is up!

Just one more to go...for this book installment anyway. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: null0trooper, Angeldude

More
25 Jun 2023 21:23 - 25 Jun 2023 21:23 #2930 by Erisian
The final part is now up. Hope folks enjoyed!

As noted, the series will continue in Book 6, Hope's Light.

Thanks,
Erisian
Last edit: 25 Jun 2023 21:23 by Erisian.
The following user(s) said Thank You: null0trooper, Mister D

Time to create page: 0.054 seconds