New? Arriving? (09 Aug 2021)

Required Reading:

If it is stickied, it is stickied for a reason. Please read it.

× This section is open for non-Whateley topics. Please minimize political, religious, or other button topics. We won't punish anyone for making a comment, but we would prefer to avoid massive arguments and trolling is frowned on. There are plenty of other places to go for that... and it is not conducive to this community for us to put up with it. If a moderator / staff / canon author says stop, please do. If we have to ask you multiple times, we may ban you. The community / project is more important than any one person's 'free choice' chasing people away. Disagree? Think we treated you unfairly? Calm down. Come back and talk to us rationally. We aren't monsters. But the site isn't a democracy... and making people leave because you make it less fun to be here? Not acceptable.

Introductions

More
05 Sep 2021 00:54 #392 by DanZilla
Introductions was created by DanZilla
I thought it might help build our community some if we introduce ourselves... this is for new, or old, members to tell us a little about themselves and what brought them here or what they hope to gain by participating here.

I'll start off with a little about myself... I'm an avid reader of Superhero Fiction and while surfing around one day I saw mention of the Whateley site (about 2 sites back at this time) and I soon found myself reading through the backlog and anything new that was added. Over time I've joined in helping behind the scenes and now I do quite a bit of different things to help keep it all running. Personally, I'm a Graphic Designer for, currently, a Game Company and in the recent past a Museum. I enjoy reading and watching movie and I'm horrible about talking about myself. :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: Maladyusted, EnemyOfFun

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Sep 2021 01:25 #416 by Kristin Darken
Replied by Kristin Darken on topic Introductions
I'll support Dan's rampage... errr.. idea.. and post too.

I'm Kristin. I've been a canon author since the Fall of 2004, one of the first couple people added from the original invitation (of Sapphire's Place, a site no longer up let alone active) by the founders when they posted the first couple stories. While not as prolific as some, I have a few canon protagonist characters: Fling (gen1), Esoteric (gen1), Shieldwall and Tavi (gen2). I'm responsible for the Florida super group Baker's Dozen and the originator of the MMO game world Good and Evil (GEO).

In 2013 when Diane Castle moved on, I picked up admin responsibilities for the site, redesigning it and keeping things running until hackers brought down the original FUDforums when I established our current process of working in Joomla based sites. I have been behind bringing the Gen 2 authors and timeline into the mix and the new site redesign; which has gone exceptionally smoothly thanks to a lot of work on Dan's part.

Outside the WU, I've spent the last two decades in the nonprofit theatre industry... but am currently looking for work in other areas, thanks to the recent shutdown's impact on my industry and former company specifically. What I end up doing is yet to be seen. IT, writing, voiceovers, or theatre.... or something else entirely. Who knows? :)

Fate guard you, and may the Light brighten your Way.

More
05 Sep 2021 03:44 - 05 Sep 2021 03:49 #417 by Rosalie Redd
Replied by Rosalie Redd on topic Introductions
I'm Rose. I'm either a smol murder bunny or a smol murdery mother of twin girls, who splits my time between being a sportsball equipment seller and complete dork. For some reason Elrod had a lapse of good judgement and liked the draft of Inaba 1 that I showed him, and he said I should join the writers. The insanity was contagious, because they all agreed.

My characters include
Rose/Inaba - a blatant self insert that has slightly exaggerated some of my oddities.
Lamprey/Liabella - a character that I thought was odd enough that she just might work.
and
Raptor/Annalea - my "Okay, do something else weird" trend continuance. a girl that because of her spirit, she now lays eggs.

As you can see, I'm kind of disturbed.

Also, I'm the one that came up with the name "Spirit-Chan"...
Last edit: 05 Sep 2021 03:49 by Rosalie Redd.

More
05 Sep 2021 16:19 - 05 Sep 2021 16:20 #420 by EnemyOfFun
Replied by EnemyOfFun on topic Introductions
Oh me next.

I'm Enemyoffun or EoF as some call me. I'm a Writer, Gamer and Self Proclaimed Hothead. Elrod roped me into this universe too, though Maggie tried to do so years ago. I've been writing over on Big Closet for years. I started reading Whateley back in the beginning but it slowly started to get too much for me so I stopped. I started back up again when I joined up as a writer here. I'm still a little rusty on the universe lore but I'm learning.

I write Riley, Clara and Moxie. I've also partially inherited Gen 2's Whitman froshies. I'm hoping to one day flesh out all the girls in Wing 1 :D

Don't make me angry, you wouldn't like me when I'm angry :P
Last edit: 05 Sep 2021 16:20 by EnemyOfFun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Maladyusted

More
08 Sep 2021 00:59 - 08 Sep 2021 01:02 #449 by jmhyp
Replied by jmhyp on topic Introductions
I disappeared for a year. I noticed the story I had been reading on the old site stopped loading in my browser tab. Now I'm lost. :) Not sure how I stopped reading. But at least I have a back catalog to catch up with again.

I first found Whateley around 2012, I think. I'm sad that you've lost all the reaction threads for the stories again.

Anyway, I'm cishet male with predilection for transformations of many types. Software engineer, part time writer/musician.
Last edit: 08 Sep 2021 01:02 by jmhyp.

More
08 Sep 2021 02:16 #452 by cprime
Replied by cprime on topic Introductions
I figure I might as well toss in the nickle synopsis of who I am. I'm (yet another) IT type who found their way to the community towards the end of the FUDForum era. If I recall correctly, I was chasing the Sted stories and binged on the wider WA universe as a whole. I generally lurk in the corners, though I will toss the occasional piece of writing into the mix.

More
08 Sep 2021 02:43 #454 by Cryptic
Replied by Cryptic on topic Introductions
My handle is Cryptic, I'm a fan writer with dreams of WhatIf status. If I ever finished something I thought worth submitting. WhatIf rather then Canon as I am a slow writer and WhatIf means I'd feel less pressure to publish rapidly. I've been writing in g2y2.

Honestly my real life is boring and not really worth going into other then I had a stroke and am still recovering.

I got into Whateley through the artist DPRagan on DeviantArt. He did an illustration based on Migraine from Big Idea and linked the story. It took me a few years to get around to reading as I kept loosing the bookmark. -looks up the picture- Wow, that was 2012, so I've been here for a bit. Any way, when I finally did read the story I had to have more, and I have been hanging around ever since.

More
09 Sep 2021 04:38 #476 by Camospam
Replied by Camospam on topic Introductions
Hello
I go by the name Camospam, harkening back to Monty Pythons fixation with spam and not the more current computer spam. I am fine with Camo as well.
I read most of the WU library after a freak weather event destroyed my home, I needed an escape and found the characters here fit the bill. I was deeply saddened to discover most of the original authors would no longer be contributing stories. So I jumped in and started to weave a tale to keep the fire going.
I do not consider myself an author, but enjoy telling a story, that it happens to be written is more coincidental than planned. I also enjoy the freedom WhatIF provides in letting me go off on tangents to explore a storyline rather than be tied to canon. It isn’t that I’m not a team player, but I write for fun, sometimes fun means going where the wind blows.
About me? I am an off the chart introvert. My idea of a good day is to not have had to speak with anybody, good thing I live in Canada where there is lots of empty space.
I work for the government (shudder), I do land and water management, search and rescue, and when needed firefighting in the Rocky Mountains. Recently I have been cornered into teaching which is the most taxing job I’ve every tried, but I’m told I’m good at it, that or I’m the only fool they could find, I lean towards the later.

More
02 Jan 2022 20:35 #1082 by ghoti
Replied by ghoti on topic Introductions
Hi.

I don't always get this handle, but when I do I often use it. I trained as an actor and a classical singer, and I'm pretty literate, though others are probably more. I was into tabletop roleplaying, chess club, and my main literary tastes are sci-fi, fantasy, and classics; though I also have in the past delved into science and philosophy.

I'm a decent critic and I can analyze characters pretty well, but writing a good story is beyond my skills. I was a dot-com person until the early 2000's, when I lost every single thing I had, and started working at San Quentin State Prison in CA. I've printed out rap sheets, fingerprint cards, been an inmate supervisor in the warehouse there, I was medical staff for 8 years, I was a records analyst for several more, and now I work for the Department of Adult Parole Operations doing pre-parole for inmate / parolees on my caseload.

I found Whateley Universe I think via TVTropes, and it's the second online universe I've read after Worm. Using metric rather than imperial because height is more precise and weight sounds less scary, I'm about 192 cm and 150 kilos, though trying to change the second part (it's slow going but I've lost a little bit). My hair is blond, except for the gray parts, and my eyes are dark green. I'm cishet but I have had family members, co-workers, friends, and colleagues of most types. My skin is fair, I'm ambidextrous, my targeting eye is my left, I'm a dabbler in a few martial arts, and a performer when I can be. I live alone after I broke up with my last g/f, and during COVID it seems like all I have is my job, walking and bodyweight exercises to try to get fit, and some online stuff.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Maladyusted, null0trooper, Dan Formerly Domoviye

More
03 Jan 2022 00:20 #1084 by Sir Lee
Replied by Sir Lee on topic Introductions
Welcome to the asylum, Fish!

More
03 Jan 2022 07:03 - 03 Jan 2022 07:08 #1085 by Exule
Replied by Exule on topic Introductions
Thoughts
I'm not sure how to start one of these. Who might be reading my words in the future, or right now from their perspective, or your perspective I suppose I should say. Who are you? If indeed there is anyone interested in my words at all. Perhaps my notes were lost to time, their creation the only moment of their existence in anyone's eye. Such a depressing thought. I would rather think I accomplished something worth remembering. Maybe these are the first words of great things, read by many at museums, in remembrance of my humble beginnings, or dusty scraps of paper, found long after I'm forgotten, with nothing to say who I was or became. Should I be wary, writing morally deep notes where only those who truly seek understanding of themselves can see the hidden meaning in every line. Perhaps I should write in fear my words could insight hatred or bigotry, in hope my words could end wars or unite nations? Or should I just write simply what comes to mind, expecting potential readers to have the wisdom to not take my words out of context, or the understanding to know any similarities in current events are purely coincidental. Unless, of course, I set those events in
All these things, and more, run through my mind when I think of how to start an introduction. I haven't even thought much about introducing myself, or should I bother? Either I'm known or I'm not, but how about everything else? How much of an introduction to my ideas should I leave absent. So many written works in history have nothing to explain day to day life as it really was. As we write, we assume other references will explain any gaps in time. The Rosetta stone was the greatest key to understanding Egyptian hieroglyphics, and it was basically an ostentatious receipt for grain. On the other hand, a story told enough times can seem to have a real place in history. Some believe Merlin to be real, Aladdin's world to be based on a real culture, or that the pyramids were made using slave labor. More recently, a great writer asked friends of his to put the name of a book he wrote in a few of the movies they were making, then denied he ever wrote the book. As a result, entire religions have started up based on the Necronomicon. There are so many ways anything I write can be misunderstood.
I could say I write for only myself, but in that is the flaw. I know what I write, so I have no need for notes. If I wrote of a life lesson, then later forgot it, it must not have been a life lesson. Looking at it the other way, writing everything I can, I end up back at the beginning of this very note, wondering how to
Last edit: 03 Jan 2022 07:08 by Exule.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DanZilla

More
06 Mar 2022 22:35 #1420 by Amethyst
Replied by Amethyst on topic Introductions
Hi, everyone.

I really don't know what to say here, I'm terrible with this kind of stuff. I'm Amethyst and I identify as a cat-girl. I'm a post-op pansexual trans girl irl and I'm a socially awkward, immature, and probably best described as 'quirky' but I try to be a decent person. I've been writing TG fiction on Big Closet for ten years now and started sharing my work there in no small part due to EnemyofFun and Maggie Finson. Maggie was a friend and mentor and I have a few friends here and was familiar with Whateley for a while now so I guess it's time that I say hello to everyone here. "Hello?" I mentioned that I'm socially awkward right?

I guess I'll see you all around.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DanZilla, Rosalie Redd, null0trooper, Dan Formerly Domoviye, Camospam , Mister D

More
07 Mar 2022 00:54 #1422 by Bongobongo
Replied by Bongobongo on topic Introductions
Hello everyone I'm Bongo Bongo!
Pleasure to meet you folks. I've been reading stories here for a while and I ki dof want to throw my hand at writing when I have my free time. I have a varied and unusual life so through that I think I could write a good story.

Looking for some other writers here to communicate and bounce ideas off of them. I may make my story noncannon and include several characters from noncannon stories I like here and there. I don't think my story would make it into a cannon story, yet.

As for me I've been writing on and off for 12 ish years, and I wanted to contribute to a story setting. I find this type of story unique so perhaps I could throw my hand at it.

Anyways I'm here, as I plan to finish every single story on the site over the next year while I write mine. Should be an adventure.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DanZilla, Camospam , Mister D

More
10 Mar 2022 03:01 #1435 by Kristin Darken
Replied by Kristin Darken on topic Introductions
Welcome!

To clarify for you, the only 'canon' stories are those written by authors who have been brought into the canon team. There is a possibility for the rare exceptional story to be made canon without the author becoming part of the team but it's far more likely that if you write something that we want to make canon, we'll talk to you about coming into the team.

That said... we avoid treating non-canon works as 'fan fic'. Sure, some of it is exactly that... while some of it is as fully realized, high quality, and coherently written (occasionally BETTER) than existing canon stories. That's why we call our non-canon stuff WhatIF... or Whateley Independent Fiction. WhatIF authors are given the ability to post stories in the forums AND in their own section of our site story releases. They have a private section of the forums (and the Discord server) where they can ask questions of the canon authors to get details that help improve their accuracy to canon mechanics and timelines without us needing to release 'hidden' stuff to the main body of readers (no one wants spoilers... well... mostly)... though we try to avoid revealing too much about what is in the future, where possible sticking to details that help without revealing unwritten stories.

Some authors thrive in the group / shared universe system. Others don't. A LOT of the process of becoming a canon author is learning what you CANNOT do. And whether or not you can or want to work with the personalities and challenges of the existing team. It's a very very different thing that being able to just create your own ideas and write your own stories. Some very good authors prefer not to write as part of the team and there's nothing wrong with that. :)

So, the bright side of this? You write what you want to write. You can spend as much effort or as little as you want to actually get things 'right' or keep from breaking continuity. We do ask that you remember that the main characters (protagonists) are author specific... you may use canon (and most non-canon) characters in your work, but we do prefer that you not write them 'differently' from how they've been presented... and that you do not write them as your protagonist. If you wish to do that, please talk to the author first. There is very little more frustrating to an author than a fast writing author writing a fan piece that furthers/resolves an ongoing plot line before the owning author does. The author is then either forced to change their original plans or look like they're copying the derivative piece.

You also don't have to deal with our crazy feedback/review process or the other authors telling you "sorry, this sixteen other things are happening in the plotline on that week... your idea won't work."

Down side? There is a 'little' less glory in writing non-canon. And you don't get to hang out in the author lounge where we keep the good scotch (not that the authors get any before the muses drink it all... but that's where its kept).

So for now... don't worry about canon. Get to know the U and the people. Just do some writing. If you want to pursue canon status down the line, we can chat.

Fate guard you, and may the Light brighten your Way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bongobongo

More
10 Mar 2022 03:17 #1436 by Bongobongo
Replied by Bongobongo on topic Introductions
Thank you for the long detailed response. I am already enjoying the community so far and working on my first what if story. It's going to be a lot of fun being here so thanks

Time to create page: 0.078 seconds