New? Arriving? (09 Aug 2021)

Required Reading:

If it is stickied, it is stickied for a reason. Please read it.

× This section is open for non-Whateley topics. Please minimize political, religious, or other button topics. We won't punish anyone for making a comment, but we would prefer to avoid massive arguments and trolling is frowned on. There are plenty of other places to go for that... and it is not conducive to this community for us to put up with it. If a moderator / staff / canon author says stop, please do. If we have to ask you multiple times, we may ban you. The community / project is more important than any one person's 'free choice' chasing people away. Disagree? Think we treated you unfairly? Calm down. Come back and talk to us rationally. We aren't monsters. But the site isn't a democracy... and making people leave because you make it less fun to be here? Not acceptable.

Text Chart / List for Stories

More
25 Oct 2021 01:12 #699 by Kristin Darken
It's not a nice sortable table, but there is now a text only listing of stories for those people who find themselves struggling with the graphics and carousels of the main access methods for the story categories. If I can figure out how to override the CSS currently locking the extension into two columns will lots of space between entries, I'll tighten it up a bit more. I may just give up on doing it the proper Joomla way with overrides and go log into the server via telnet and just change the file with pico. But I'll struggle with the overrides for a little longer first.
Be warned. There is no pagination. There is no sorting. It's just a straight up list of stories in each of the five categories from oldest to newest. It's a very LONG page. But its there. If you need it.

Kristin

Fate guard you, and may the Light brighten your Way.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Oct 2021 02:54 #700 by E. E. Nalley
Um...Where is it? :dry:

More
25 Oct 2021 02:57 - 25 Oct 2021 02:58 #701 by Kristin Darken
If you click on the Main Menu: READ option, that brings up all the reading from the collection menu options. TEXT is the one on the end/far right.

Last edit: 25 Oct 2021 02:58 by Kristin Darken.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Valentine

More
02 Nov 2021 17:01 - 02 Nov 2021 17:01 #732 by jmhyp
Replied by jmhyp on topic Text Chart / List for Stories
This is exactly what I've wanted for the last two websites. :) Thanks, Kristin.

Now I just have to find the time to catch up.
Last edit: 02 Nov 2021 17:01 by jmhyp.

More
03 Nov 2021 22:10 #736 by Kristin Darken
Yay, a thank you!

I also decided that one super long list with everything might be a little much. So this Text version also has a 'sub-menu' that breaks up the list into a couple parts:
Original Timeline Released from 2004-2009
Original Timeline Released from 2010-2015
Original Timeline Released from 2016-Present
Second Gen Released from 2015-Present
Off-campus / Exploring the World of WU
WhatIF
Library

Or you can just scroll down on the first Text page that you land on until you reach the section you're looking for.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mister D

More
09 Feb 2022 21:23 - 09 Feb 2022 21:42 #1306 by Naldru
I am having a problem with searching for stories.  As an example, I am going to use "You can choose your friends" by ElrodW.  I go to the text version of the story list and use Edit->Find on the page to search for "You can choose your friends" and get the entry 

Calendar Symbol :: 26 July 2021 -- Presumably the submittal date
Bar-chart Symbol :: 1206 
A stylized image of a bust (head and shoulders) :: ElrodW -- This field is presumably the author

This story has Knockoff / Martina Hughes as the main character.  So the question is:

How do I get a list of all stories involving Knockoff

Why doesn't "You can choose your friends" appear when I try to get a list of Knockoff stories.

If I enter Knockoff as the desired tag in the second search option, I get four entries.

Knockoff 2 - Fight or Flight (Part 1)
Knockoff 2 - Fight or Flight (Part 2)
Knockoff 2 - Fight or Flight (Part 3)
Mama's Boy

At the bottom of Mama's Boy is the following information.
Published in Canon-Original Timeline
Tagged under 
  • Canon
  • Gen1
  • ElrodW
  • Knockoff
  • Martina Hughes
Clicking on Martina Hughes or Knockoff gives me the same information.  I assume that I would find the same information at the bottom of the other stories.

When I open "You can choose your friends" , I get the same "Published in" line but no "Tagged under" line.  I assume that this is why the story isn't in the Knockoff list.  If I am doing something wrong, could you please let me know my error.  If this is a database error, how would I go about requesting corrections?  If I should just run away as specified in Monty Python and the Holy Grail, please let me know by message, and I will flee in horror and fright with alacrity.

If you wish to know some techniques that I have learned for efficiently locating errors, let me know and I will try to help.  

Last edit: 09 Feb 2022 21:42 by Naldru. Reason: Original post lost part of mesage

More
09 Feb 2022 22:13 #1307 by DanZilla
That was an error we found with some of the initial stories that we uploaded to this site... some of them didn't get linked to their author correctly and as such when I went through the authors lists putting on the tags I missed it... it should work fine now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Maladyusted, Dan Formerly Domoviye, Naldru

More
15 Feb 2022 02:07 #1317 by Kristin Darken
Please note that every option for searching and referencing we implement requires data entry. At this time there are nearly 1100 entries into the story database... every one of which requires title, category, author, date, and between four and eight tags ... as well as a link to its protagonist character art/image... plus the actual story data/content. So yes, there are errors. There WILL still be errors for years (there are still data errors in the entries from the site set up in 2015 and I found data errors in the old html site that had been up since 2007 or so when I built the first joomla site in 2015. There's simply a LOT of stuff to do in setting up and maintaining a site like this... and few people doing it (none of whom are paid to do so).

Just offering a list of errors when you find them 'may' get them corrected... if one of us who can fix them happens to get that list when time is available to handle it. A PM to DanZilla or I will generally do the trick. Or posting here in the forums.

Time to create page: 0.071 seconds