New? Arriving? (09 Aug 2021)

Required Reading:

If it is stickied, it is stickied for a reason. Please read it.

× This section is open for non-Whateley topics. Please minimize political, religious, or other button topics. We won't punish anyone for making a comment, but we would prefer to avoid massive arguments and trolling is frowned on. There are plenty of other places to go for that... and it is not conducive to this community for us to put up with it. If a moderator / staff / canon author says stop, please do. If we have to ask you multiple times, we may ban you. The community / project is more important than any one person's 'free choice' chasing people away. Disagree? Think we treated you unfairly? Calm down. Come back and talk to us rationally. We aren't monsters. But the site isn't a democracy... and making people leave because you make it less fun to be here? Not acceptable.

Security Certificate

More
29 Jan 2022 07:56 #1219 by Kristin Darken
Quick update on the security certificate issue:

As some of you may have seen, the site security certificate is being rejected by some browsers. Many people are having issues with Firefox, but can access the site with Chrome or Edge... while others are having problems with most/all browsers.

The source of this problem stems with something that the organization "Let's Encrypt" did this week. They discovered a vulnerability in their encryptions and chose to revoke ALL certificates that used that protocol. That includes the one we were using. As a result, browsers reacted by rejecting not the individual certificates but rather the issuer (Let's Encrypt). So even though people have updated certificates, some browsers are still rejecting the issuer.

Or... that's what I've gathered, so far.

I have run the corrections to update our certificate. However, there are still issues.

I'm hoping that its a matter of propagation and a fix on Firefox's part... but if not, I'll continue to monitor the situation over the weekend. Worst case scenario, I'll have to manually revoke and remove our existing certificates and start from scratch... and maybe use an issuer other than Let's Encrypt. Which could cost us some money, unfortunately. At least Let's Encrypt is free.

Either way. Known issue and somewhat out of our hands. Hopefully it's fixed and its just a matter of time... if not, more will be made clear as the communities involved raise loud voices insisting that fixes be made. If that's the case, I'll get it resolved when I can... but at the moment, it will either happen on its own... or it'll have to wait until Sunday or Monday when I have time.

Cross fingers.

Fate guard you, and may the Light brighten your Way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cryptic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jan 2022 15:49 #1221 by E. E. Nalley
Replied by E. E. Nalley on topic Security Certificate
Firefox users can access the site by removing the check mark next to:

Query OCSP responder servers to confirm the current validity of certificates

In the security section. IMPORTANT NOTE: this means the browser will not check ANY certificate for any site, so use appropriate caution or a different browser to access the site temporarily...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cryptic

More
30 Jan 2022 09:16 #1224 by Kristin Darken
Replied by Kristin Darken on topic Security Certificate
Soo.. ya. Problem did not solve itself.

SO... I have manually rooted out the old certificates and set up, bypassed the automation, kicked people around at bitnami... and set up new Let's Encrypt certificates. The site 'should' now be accessible by all browsers. Let me know if anyone is still running into problems or if my solution appears to have caused any side effects. I 'think' we're good... but.. its been a long day so... who knows. :P

Fate guard you, and may the Light brighten your Way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Court, null0trooper, E. E. Nalley, Dreamer, FallenHawk, Mister D

More
30 Jan 2022 15:53 #1226 by E. E. Nalley
Replied by E. E. Nalley on topic Security Certificate
Confirmed for me. Put the check back in and restarted the browser and this is being typed on Firefox. Nice work, Kristin! :byebye:

More
30 Jan 2022 20:06 #1228 by Dreamer
Replied by Dreamer on topic Security Certificate
Confirmed for me as well, on the site on Firefox right now. Thank you once again for all your hard work, Kristin.

Thank You for the story comments appreciated and help me know they are being read and liked. :-) Note: My story comments can't nor are trying to replace reading the stories, simply my way of enjoying them and letting the authors know I enjoy them.

Time to create page: 0.045 seconds