New? Arriving? (09 Aug 2021)

Required Reading:

If it is stickied, it is stickied for a reason. Please read it.

Story stats

More
03 Sep 2021 14:41 #375 by Camospam
Story stats was created by Camospam
Is there someway / someplace for an author to see how many times a story has been read?
It was a feature on the old site that gave me encouragement to keep writing, that people were interested.
To receive a thumbs up is always nice too, :baffle:
I may just not be familiar enough with all that is new to have found it yet.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Sep 2021 15:47 #376 by null0trooper
Replied by null0trooper on topic Story stats

Is there someway / someplace for an author to see how many times a story has been read?
It was a feature on the old site that gave me encouragement to keep writing, that people were interested.

For those items that you have edit privileges:
"My Page" -> scroll to story -> "Edit item" -> "Publishing & metadata"

The publishing and metadata tab allows you to see the number of hits and the current rating, both of which can be reset to 0 hits, 0 votes, if the story gets review-bombed or the hits counter has an inflated number from your online edits.

If you don't mind incrementing the hits counter (which you always had to do to get the voted rating), open the story and scroll down to the end of the text. For example:

Additional Info

In-universe Timestamp: Friday, 20 April 1990

Read 111 times Last modified on Monday, 09 August 2021 00:40
Published in Whateley Independent Fiction
Tagged under: WhatIF null0trooper Off Campus Nick Spelman Briar Rose

Not quite the same as pulling up one page and seeing it have X hits on the old site.

To receive a thumbs up is always nice too, :baffle:
I may just not be familiar enough with all that is new to have found it yet.

My impression is that Joomla designers think that text and tables are bad, but I'll leave the accessibility diatribe for another day.

"Stepping Out": Story link .

Story Discussion

More
03 Sep 2021 17:14 #379 by Camospam
Replied by Camospam on topic Story stats
Thanks NullOtrooper.
Well, it seems that WhatIF authors don’t have the ability to ‘edit’ posted / published stories, just not part of the package.
It explains why I’ve been unable to view reads.

More
05 Sep 2021 09:14 #418 by Kristin Darken
Replied by Kristin Darken on topic Story stats

My impression is that Joomla designers think that text and tables are bad, but I'll leave the accessibility diatribe for another day.
Ya... they also tend to go with the perspective that anyone who is actually contributing content, editing, publishing, or handling things like statistics of content... is an 'employee' or part of the team. And thus, has access to the administrative side of the site. So, what you're asking for? It's not so much that its not accessible... its that its not accessible in the front end (on the main site). I think its understandable why we might not want the majority of the people who are creating content for the site regularly logging in to the administrative side of the site. I don't even know the real names / contact info of all the canon authors and we've been working together for years. the only 'security' check I do of WhatIF authors is that you come to me and ask for access. And I watch you for a while to make sure you don't abuse it.

That said... content statistics? I'll look into it. Most of the sort of thing that are 'end of story' or 'start of story' are movable. And most of the fields can be displayed somewhere... it's just a question of setting it up so its not a mess bogging down the presentation of the story for the reader, which is the main priority.

If I can't make some easily visible for authors to track... I'll see if I can get some additional statistic options in the author additions to the user menu. Might take me a bit... I've had hundreds of fake registrations to deal with the past couple days.

Fate guard you, and may the Light brighten your Way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mister D

More
05 Sep 2021 10:16 - 05 Sep 2021 10:17 #419 by Kristin Darken
Well, I CAN tell you that the number of reads IS at the foot of the story. It's not possible for me (easily) to move this to the top... or put it somewhere else that won't increment the hit counter. So, you CAN see it... it just requires some scrolling and you'll inflate your counter checking on it regularly.

I've found ONE content statistics extension so far that will work with other extensions we're using. It is a bit more expensive than I prefer to pay given our available resources (its around $80/yr). Most of the extensions we're using are in the 20-30/yr range (or free). Both this... and the complex tag filter/search extension... that I've found are likely to be useful to us, but its tough to make that call when its a couple hundred dollars a year added to our operating budget AND... it could turn out that once I get them, they don't integrate well. There's no way to know for sure until I implement them. Alternately, I roll up my sleeves and do a LOT of PHP coding. Not really wanting to do that. Especially not just to make an extension that I've had to buy work right. If I'm going to mess with coding things myself, I might as well start from scratch and not pay someone else.

Last edit: 05 Sep 2021 10:17 by Kristin Darken.

More
05 Sep 2021 20:56 #424 by null0trooper

Ya... they also tend to go with the perspective that anyone who is actually contributing content, editing, publishing, or handling things like statistics of content... is an 'employee' or part of the team. And thus, has access to the administrative side of the site. So, what you're asking for? It's not so much that its not accessible...

When I refer to accessibility, I'm refering to Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 as amended in 1998,in other words, "can a person with disabilities use this feature?" A carousel of content identified primarily by scrolling images in place of a table of text content may be elegant in terms of formatting, but even for sighted users it falls just short of disability-hostile. If some item isn't available to either "able(ist)" or "differently abled" users, then there isn't an issue. (I don't make these rules)

Story Discussion

More
06 Sep 2021 01:40 #431 by Kristin Darken
Ok. But since you brought them up, how do we 'fix' that? EVERY commercial news site now uses this sort of layout. Most commercial shopping options - cars, stores, etc do as well. How do THEY handle being 'accessible' compliant?

I'm not saying your wrong... I just question the logic behind making a fuss over it. Very little of the internet is handled in text only these days. At least we don't intersperse advertisement banners between every scene of the actual content.

The first 'solution' that comes to mind for me is use of the RSS feed. That should be text only.. and once you're subscribed, you could get a forums AND content feed straight to your own desktop via an RSS reader. No carousels. No graphics.

More
06 Sep 2021 18:30 #435 by null0trooper

Ok. But since you brought them up, how do we 'fix' that? EVERY commercial news site now uses this sort of layout. Most commercial shopping options - cars, stores, etc do as well. How do THEY handle being 'accessible' compliant?

They provide an "Accessibility Statement" page that basically says "Hey guyz! We have internal policies, training, and checklists to shield us from lawsuits. BTW, here's the OS and browser we support. Use those. Here's a link to some tools!"

For example, the Weather Channel recommends a commercial plugin that includes: "Hands-free mouse, Voice commands, Visual click assist, On-screen keyboard, Text-to-speech, Easy to use and can be activated quickly" for "People who have trouble typing, moving a mouse or reading due to a variety of conditions" that includes dyslexia, limited proficiency with English, and "Other learning or reading issues"

Basically, "Just write for/use a screen reader!" is a common piece of advice (because only complete blindness matters). The carousel model likely works well enough by streaming a limited-length, single-column table of text to the reader. For six to ten stories, I'm sure it's good enough. However, making potential readers - who are trying to access stories produced as text - listen through up to eighty-seven lists of story titles is unlikely to convince them to stay.

I'm also looking at Lowe's website, which uses a hierarchical arrangement of menu pages to direct customers to the most likely department (with internal search as a shortcut), before drilling down using a "grid" layout rendered in CSS, no carousels. They can also afford the complexity built into that HTML grid just to do the same job as an HTML 4 table.

I'm not saying your wrong... I just question the logic behind making a fuss over it. Very little of the internet is handled in text only these days. At least we don't intersperse advertisement banners between every scene of the actual content.

Visual-only content very often cannot be fully understood by people who don't have clear, fully-corrected, color vision. For others, the content rapidly degrades with sensory processing issues. Most of those folks could use a screen reader instead if equivalent text is provided. It doesn't matter that very little of the internet content you consume is text-only because few people have asked for all websites to be rendered text-only, just rendered in a way that gives them a chance to get to the same information you take for granted.

However, the only "fuss" being raised is that the information about reader engagement authors could get to on the old site - hits and ratings - is no longer in a single place where it can easily be seen without artificially raising the hits counters, but distributed across every single story part published.

The first 'solution' that comes to mind for me is use of the RSS feed. That should be text only.. and once you're subscribed, you could get a forums AND content feed straight to your own desktop via an RSS reader. No carousels. No graphics.

I was explaining what I meant by "accessibility" as a former website designer who has had his sites formally reviewed for accessibility, per Section 508.

It is true that the RSS feeds do not use CSS carousels. Neither the list of headlines nor the full text listings make available the number of story reads or the story ratings, which are what Camospam was asking about, with

Also, the RSS feed is currently limited to the last 10 documents entered into the system with a given tag.
"Displaying items by tag:" listings generate a valid RSS feed.
"Search results for: " listings do not.

Story Discussion

More
06 Sep 2021 19:54 #436 by null0trooper
For those who want to use RSS to follow future releases:
Gen 1/ Original Timeline: https://whateley.academy/index.php/read/tag/Gen1?format=feed&type=rss 
Gen 2: https://whateley.academy/index.php/read/tag/Gen2?format=feed&type=rss 
WhatIF: https://whateley.academy/index.php/read/tag/WhatIF?format=feed&type=rss
Library: https://whateley.academy/index.php/read/tag/Library?format=feed

Story Discussion

More
06 Sep 2021 21:55 #437 by Kristin Darken

However, the only "fuss" being raised is that the information about reader engagement authors could get to on the old site - hits and ratings - is no longer in a single place where it can easily be seen without artificially raising the hits counters, but distributed across every single story part published.

Yes... well, the article manager that allowed WhatIF authors to see hit counters without incrementing the count ALSO let them see things that they technically didn't have access level to see. Which is one reason why it was discontinued by Joomla for security concerns. Some of the same issues are why it is no longer possible for WhatIF authors to publish their own stories into the released category. I originally intended to use the extension that is implemented in the "Recent" stories menu option. That grid extension gives a really nice layout and has flexible enough features that it would be great for showing off the story catalogue... or so it seemed when I checked out the demo. And then I found that it doesn't paginate. So for 10... 20.. 30 or so stories? It's great. For a category of 600 stories? That's one really big page load. At least I still got some use of the extension. Unlike a couple others that, after purchasing them, found they wouldn't integrate properly and had to put them aside.

Solutions DO exist for the stuff being asked for. They're not cheap ($100/yr price tag for the content analytics extension that I've found that 'may' do the trick... similar price range for the multi-tag filter I've found - and there's no guarantee once we purchase either of them that they will integrate and work for us, but they 'look' like they will from feature lists and site demos). Of course, its entirely possible that 'many' extensions are going to stop being supported as the developers move on to creating updates/versions that work with Joomla 4 instead of the version we're using. The question is... is it worth 100-200 dollars to get one or both of these extensions in the hope they will work... knowing that's a yearly cost that we'll have to cover to keep things working?

Honestly? I get the concern about artificially incrementing the hit counter making things slightly less accurate... but ... that's going to happen anyway. Bots that parse the site increment it. People who load the story and don't read it all in one sitting do that. People who load the story, read it offline, then go back and click a rating... or a thank you or whatever... are adding more than one count. And then there are people who are going to use RSS or email subscriptions... and THEY aren't going to increment it at all. It's only going to be a reasonably accurate data point if it is vastly more complex than most Joomla extensions are. With IP records and/or other identity checks on independent increments. The old site wasn't free of those problems. True, the article manager made it easy to see and didn't increment it. But other things did. Those numbers weren't accurate with google analytics numbers. There's no 'simple' solution. In the meantime... just check your story by loading it. If you're worried about all the extra loads messing up the counter? Keep track of how many times you check it. Subtract those. (Side note: quickest way I can think of to see the count is to jump to your story's comment module... that's always right at the bottom of the story, so a quick scroll up will show the hit counter... instead of having to scroll through the whole story from the top).

More
06 Sep 2021 23:16 #438 by null0trooper

Solutions DO exist for the stuff being asked for. They're not cheap ($100/yr price tag for the content analytics extension that I've found that 'may' do the trick... similar price range for the multi-tag filter I've found - and there's no guarantee once we purchase either of them that they will integrate and work for us, but they 'look' like they will from feature lists and site demos). Of course, its entirely possible that 'many' extensions are going to stop being supported as the developers move on to creating updates/versions that work with Joomla 4 instead of the version we're using. The question is... is it worth 100-200 dollars to get one or both of these extensions in the hope they will work... knowing that's a yearly cost that we'll have to cover to keep things working?.

With an entirely new version of Joomla coming out, I'd say that the effort of keeping yet another extension working - in the face of others possibly failing - could turn out to cost more in time than it's worth. Even a user-subsidized extension can break in odd ways without interim fixes available.

Story Discussion

More
07 Sep 2021 00:15 #440 by Kristin Darken
*nods* that's why I've held off on those two extensions. I'll keep looking for other options in the meantime, but I don't want to throw that sort of money at something and then find out it isn't going to be supported any longer. And I'm not currently planning to migrate us to Joomla 4 unless I have to. I'd hoped that it would release before we needed to move and I'd have just designed us to use 4... but with the DB failures accumulating, it seemed wiser to make the move. Only the universe laughing at us that it released the same week we opened registrations up. After I waited almost eight months for it to release. :P

More
08 Sep 2021 03:02 #457 by Kristin Darken
I spent some time studying PHP and the modules in question today...

You will now find HIT Counters on the Recent stories grid and in the Collections Carousels.

Feel free to schedule the parade and confetti when the weather cools down a little. :P

The following user(s) said Thank You: Kettlekorn, Dreamer, Camospam

Time to create page: 0.070 seconds