New? Arriving? (09 Aug 2021)

Required Reading:

If it is stickied, it is stickied for a reason. Please read it.

Paul Graham on the subject of new ideas

More
22 Oct 2021 17:39 #698 by Sir Lee
Paul Graham, one of the guys behind the startup incubator yCombinator, has a rather interesting blog. Today he posted some thoughts on intelligence and the ability to come up with new ideas. I think those thoughts might be relevant for those writing inventor characters, that is gadgeteers/devisors.

www.paulgraham.com/smart.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mister D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Oct 2021 23:32 - 25 Oct 2021 23:34 #702 by Mister D
The VC business model is aimed at making the VC's profit, and not the founders that they are financing.

I came across this article by Steve Albini called "The problem with music" and it works really well as a description of the VC-funded Start-Up industry.

"Hey guys, let's build a start-up" instead of "Hey guys, let's start a band."

https ://://

Just change the placeholders from Band member/Musician to Founder, A&R Person to Limited Partner, and Record Label to VC Fund. Same patterns of behaviour. :(
Last edit: 25 Oct 2021 23:34 by Mister D. Reason: Sorry for re-editing, but it doesn't allow me to post links yet.

More
26 Oct 2021 02:57 #705 by Sir Lee
You do have a point regarding the attitudes and mindsets (often predatory) involved in the startup process. However, that has little to do with the subject of the blog post itself, which was intelligence vs. innovation. Reading someone's point of view does not mean agreeing with them, and sometimes even someone you dislike raises salient points.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mister D

Time to create page: 0.042 seconds