New? Arriving? (09 Aug 2021)

Required Reading:

If it is stickied, it is stickied for a reason. Please read it.

× This is the Policy, News, and Announcements section. Only Staff and Canon authors can post here. If you have something that needs to be added to this section, please contact someone with authorization... anything that impacts the community is welcome, but as this section will be 'required reading' because it will have policy info posted; there is a need to keep the number of posts limited.

Direct Messages on this site

More
22 Jun 2022 00:32 #1965 by DanZilla
The Direct Messaging system for this website is set-up through an Opt-in process... this means that if you would like to receive communication from other participants on this site you need to opt-in by going to the inbox on the right-hand column and then choosing the settings that allow you to receive them.

I mention this since some of our authors had used the previous website's DM system for communicating with readers and have expressed some dismay that the participants on the site aren't available to communicate with.

Please opt-in if you would like to be included
The following user(s) said Thank You: E. E. Nalley

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jul 2022 18:47 #2067 by Kristin Darken
Reminder:

Just a reminder/notice for everyone.

The messaging system is set up / defaults to an 'opt out' status. That means that when you register with the site, your account/profile defaults to being invisible to other users for the purposes of messages... and prevents them from being sent to you (with the exception of Administrator overrides. If you wish to participate in private exchanges with other registered users (including authors), you will first need to opt in on some settings.

To do this:

Click on the Inbox button in the right sidebar below your main User/Avatar panel and above the Patron link button
While in the DJ Messaging system Inbox, go to Settings. This button is in the upper right next to the Compose button.
This will drop down a three option menu you can toggle between enable and disable.

Receiving messages: As it sounds, if this is disabled, you will only receive Administrator sent messages.
Public Profile: If this is disabled, you are 'invisible' to other users on the list of names to send to... however, it IS still possible for you to send and receive messages. You just cannot be picked from the list.
Email Notifications: This handy option shoots you an email any time you get a DM on the site. Useful for authors and staff, but not too important otherwise unless you're expecting a message and you want to respond quickly.

For privacy reasons, these all default to disabled... but I highly recommend anyone who interacts with the community turn at least profile and receive messages on.

Also, please note that if ANYONE... legitimate community member, author... or otherwise... uses the DM system to harass you; don't just go invisible, please please please report it to me and I will take additional action. That is against our policies (as well as just being an asshole move) and I will not treat it lightly. I hope everyone feels comfortable participating in the community and a lot of work goes into keeping us spammer and harassment free... seems a waste of effort for everyone to hide invisibly. :)

Hope this helps solve the connection problems that have been going on (and backs up the Staff and Author requests for info on why they cannot engage in DM conversations as they did on the old site). The system supports it, it just doesn't default to on to allow for privacy if desired.

Thanks everyone!
Kristin

Fate guard you, and may the Light brighten your Way.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.037 seconds