New? Arriving? (09 Aug 2021)

Required Reading:

If it is stickied, it is stickied for a reason. Please read it.

× Stories about the Original Timeline (which runs from Fall 2006 to Spring 2010) can be found here. Also in the OT are those stories that are outside the main time frame set for them but whose protagonists are part of the student body during this time.

The Mark of Miss Scarlet! by Bek D Corbin

More
13 Jun 2023 00:00 #2872 by DanZilla
The Mark of Miss Scarlet! (Part 1) can be found in the Gen 1 section or by using the link below... and please remember our authors are doing this for the response they get... please leave comments where you can for appreciated stories or if you have anything to bring to the conversation of written word and readers.

The Mark of Miss Scarlet! (Part 1)

The following user(s) said Thank You: null0trooper, Mister D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jun 2023 06:11 #2877 by Dreamer
SPOILER ALERT
Below is a stream of conscious commentary I type up as I read the story. There will be details from the story included in it. If you have not read the story yet and don't wish to have details of it spoiled, read no further.

The Mark of Miss Scarlet Part 1 comments
Warning: Spoiler!

Thank You for the story comments appreciated and help me know they are being read and liked. :-) Note: My story comments can't nor are trying to replace reading the stories, simply my way of enjoying them and letting the authors know I enjoy them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DanZilla, Bek D Corbin, null0trooper, Dan Formerly Domoviye, mhalpern

More
13 Jun 2023 10:30 #2878 by mhalpern
Interesting start...

Micro scenes and bad ideas are freely adoptable
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dan Formerly Domoviye

More
13 Jun 2023 17:07 #2879 by Bek D Corbin
For the record, this segment of this story was posted, bit by bit, in the Microscenes column back in the old Crystal Hall site, now sadly lost to the deep dark recesses of the Internet. But the next two segments are original.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DanZilla, Dan Formerly Domoviye, Dreamer, Mister D

More
13 Jun 2023 19:30 #2880 by Dreamer
I knew I remembered reading most of this before, still fun reading it all again. Can't wait for the next parts.

Thank You for the story comments appreciated and help me know they are being read and liked. :-) Note: My story comments can't nor are trying to replace reading the stories, simply my way of enjoying them and letting the authors know I enjoy them.

More
14 Jun 2023 06:49 #2883 by Hardric62
Oooooh, more Bek, more Scapegrace. Let's see this all.

Micro-scenes from the past mainly? Eh, just means we got to see how long it percolated to become a new one.

Guess JD nailed Volsung's Ex-Proto-spirit. Good for him.

Ah, Ulrike's origin story from before Nefarious Three too. Noice.

And I think the spike price for the AI cores is actually not pure woof, and it all Bek's fault actually. I mean, we are in Late Year 1,

Silicon Valley: I don't remember Snowfish being there, but Nacht jad a Spring Break including Sunny, Misty and Gloriana. And something that made Glorie want to rush her for the Capes. Mayhem is just what was needed to cheer up her situation.

Cincinnati: Been a while since Diabolik's attack, but I don't doubt new stuff has been dumped on poor Stacey's lap again. Hope her MtF change is fully done by the end of this year.

Denver: Loose Cannons? Loose Cannons. I never tire of their Ohmigod-this-would-make-a-killer-RPG-campaign story.

Durnham: Alright, I got nothing for this one. Foreshadowing another story brewing somewhere in North Carolina maybe?

And thus Vivian's quest to one-up her millionaire sister continues. Stay tuned for the next parts I'd say.

More
14 Jun 2023 18:40 #2884 by Apple3141
Isn't Durham Silver Ghost's hometown?

More
14 Jun 2023 19:16 #2885 by Bek D Corbin
No, Durham is in North Carolina, and Stacy is an Ohio girl

More
16 Jun 2023 22:37 #2889 by Schol-R-LEA
Here's an unrelated question: Would Asha be at Whateley in the Gen 2 stories?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dan Formerly Domoviye

More
16 Jun 2023 22:42 #2890 by null0trooper

Here's an unrelated question: Would Asha be at Whateley in the Gen 2 stories?

That question has come up. Imagine Twitch, Karma, and Asha... Why is Bek twitching like that?

"Stepping Out": Story link .

Story Discussion
The following user(s) said Thank You: Schol-R-LEA, Dan Formerly Domoviye, Dreamer, mhalpern

More
19 Jun 2023 17:30 #2901 by Bek D Corbin
Actually, Null, Asha is 6 in Gen1, so in Gen2, she's be 15 or 16 depending on her exact birthdate. Her reaction to Twitch and/or Karma would be <roll eyes> 'KIDS' <sigh>
The following user(s) said Thank You: Schol-R-LEA

More
26 Jun 2023 00:03 #2931 by DPRagan
Nice to see more Gen 1 stuff, For "Scarlet" and Jessie the hard part is to remember that they are middle school aged and sized.

More
04 Jul 2023 00:00 #2941 by DanZilla
The Mark of Miss Scarlet! (Part 2) can be found in the Gen 1 section or by using the link below... and please remember our authors are doing this for the response they get... please leave comments where you can for appreciated stories or if you have anything to bring to the conversation of written word and readers.

whateley.academy/index.php/component/k2/...-miss-scarlet-part-2
The following user(s) said Thank You: null0trooper, Mister D

More
04 Jul 2023 03:38 #2942 by Dreamer
SPOILER ALERT
Below is a stream of conscious commentary I type up as I read the story. There will be details from the story included in it. If you have not read the story yet and don't wish to have details of it spoiled, read no further.

The Mark of Miss Scarlet! Part 2 comments
Warning: Spoiler!

The following user(s) said Thank You: DanZilla, Bek D Corbin, null0trooper, Dan Formerly Domoviye, mhalpern

More
04 Jul 2023 04:00 - 04 Jul 2023 04:06 #2943 by Schol-R-LEA
Bek once again has shown us what a real Gambit Pileup looks like. What a mess!

Viv's plan struck me as having far too many moving parts, even if the core idea was relatively simple - which despite her claims to the contrary, it really wasn't. While she's seeing the importance of setting aside her sibling rivalry, she's still largely motivated out of envy, and that's not a good starting point for success.

Plenty of tidbits of lore to chew on. Nice!

I also liked Jessie's ad-libbing of a 'contract dispute' between Miss Scarlet and Tek Raider. It actually would make sense as a bit of misdirection, and did get the Stupid Seven to dogpile Viv - which was part of Viv's plan, after all, even if 'Miss Scarlet' decided to take a few digs at 'Tek Raider' in the process.

Ye gods and little fishes, though, there are genuinely a lot more Science Heroes (and wannabees) running around than I'd ever have guessed. I know Bek loves Weird Science stuff, though, so it's all good. One does wonder if any there are any as-yet unrecognized Devisors or Gadgeteers in their midst.

I suspect that we'll be seeing more of Jeannie Yes in the future. Cleopatra Fox? Not so much.

I am curious about how Dr Macabre got back on his feet so quickly, though clearly he's somewhat worse for wear after his time in the Monster Maker. Or is this someone just pretending to be Cobb for some reason? Also, what is he doing there in the first place? Did he (like Doc Atlas, Magnum, and Kid Galahad) simply figure that the riddle meant something there was important enough to either go after or (in the case of the latter two) protect? Or did he decide to hit the exhibition for reasons of his own, possibly in regards to the Atlantean relics? I'm not sure if we'll find out or not.

This all seems a bit contrived, which makes me think Bek has something up their sleeve still. I mean, I could see why all of these types came out of the woodwork in the Silver Ghost stories, what with Madcap's singular power drawing them in like flies. Similarly, the Gorias Stone is the sort of maguffin that would get every two-bit mystic rushing into the melee for a chance to grab it. But this? This almost feels as if something bigger is afoot, like they've all been brought there for some reason - sort of like in "The Road to Whateley", but unlike there (where a ladder-climbing MCO agent sets things in motion), we've yet to see the one calling the shots. I wonder if those AG cores are even really there in the first place, or if Viv is herself being manipulated.
Last edit: 04 Jul 2023 04:06 by Schol-R-LEA.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DanZilla, Dan Formerly Domoviye, mhalpern

Time to create page: 0.180 seconds