New? Arriving? (09 Aug 2021)

Required Reading:

If it is stickied, it is stickied for a reason. Please read it.

× Stories about the Original Timeline (which runs from Fall 2006 to Spring 2010) can be found here. Also in the OT are those stories that are outside the main time frame set for them but whose protagonists are part of the student body during this time.

The Dastardly Daughter by Domoviye

More
02 Apr 2024 00:01 #3432 by DanZilla
The Dastardly Daughter can be found in the Gen 1 section or by using the link below... and please remember our authors are doing this for the response they get... please leave comments where you can for appreciated stories or if you have anything to bring to the conversation.

The Dastardly Daughter
The following user(s) said Thank You: null0trooper, Dan Formerly Domoviye, mhalpern, Mister D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Apr 2024 01:31 #3433 by mhalpern
Imp is gonna have FUN with this one, she's already adopted her old first line of defense, make it very easy for others to underestimate you, granted she wont full her for a second.

Micro scenes and bad ideas are freely adoptable
The following user(s) said Thank You: DanZilla, Dan Formerly Domoviye, Dreamer

More
02 Apr 2024 01:36 #3434 by Dan Formerly Domoviye

Imp is gonna have FUN with this one, she's already adopted her old first line of defense, make it very easy for others to underestimate you, granted she wont full her for a second.
She was kind of created when someone made a joke about a student who everyone tries to keep away from Imp.
"Sorry but art class is full, you can't take it this term. Maybe you can try to get in next term, buuut it has a waiting list."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, mhalpern

More
02 Apr 2024 02:32 #3435 by Naldru
I've seen a few references to the telephone number 999 in stories ("Stomping Grounds" segment of "Stepping Out" and the "Dastardly Daughter"). I was just wondering what percentage of the readers know that 999 serves the same function as police/fire/medical emergency as 911 in Canada and the United States. Would there be any point to having some links to Commonwealth usage that would confuse Americans? (boot/trunk, lorry/truck, bonnet/hood, etc.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: DanZilla, Dan Formerly Domoviye

More
02 Apr 2024 02:34 #3436 by Dan Formerly Domoviye
Could be a useful little addition.
I'll think about it now that I'm back to writing full time.

More
02 Apr 2024 03:18 #3437 by DanZilla

I've seen a few references to the telephone number 999 in stories ("Stomping Grounds" segment of "Stepping Out" and the "Dastardly Daughter"). I was just wondering what percentage of the readers know that 999 serves the same function as police/fire/medical emergency as 911 in Canada and the United States. Would there be any point to having some links to Commonwealth usage that would confuse Americans? (boot/trunk, lorry/truck, bonnet/hood, etc.)

Personally, I was fond of the 0118 999 881 999 119 725 3 emergency number.

More
02 Apr 2024 03:47 #3438 by Dreamer
SPOILER ALERT
Below is a stream of conscious commentary I type up as I read the story. There will be details from the story included in it. If you have not read the story yet and don't wish to have details of it spoiled, read no further.

The Dastardly Daughter comments
Warning: Spoiler!

Thank You for the story comments appreciated and help me know they are being read and liked. :-) Note: My story comments can't nor are trying to replace reading the stories, simply my way of enjoying them and letting the authors know I enjoy them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DanZilla, null0trooper, Dan Formerly Domoviye, NeoMagus, Mister D

More
02 Apr 2024 11:35 #3439 by mhalpern

She was kind of created when someone made a joke about a student who everyone tries to keep away from Imp.
"Sorry but art class is full, you can't take it this term. Maybe you can try to get in next term, buuut it has a waiting list."

I only see that working while she's still in Junior high, at longest, once she's a frosh there's no chance, after all, they may be able to keep her from Imp, but few have ever been able to keep Imp away from anything, her first combat final at the latest would be the end of such a game.

More
02 Apr 2024 12:30 #3440 by Astrodragon

Would I do something like that?? :)

More
02 Apr 2024 15:15 #3441 by mhalpern
of course if they really wanted to keep her away from Imp, they wouldn't have put her in the same cottage as Mischief.

More
04 Apr 2024 01:19 #3443 by Naldru
I'm not clear on what you are accusing me of accusing you of.

More
08 Apr 2024 01:51 - 08 Apr 2024 01:55 #3444 by Dan Formerly Domoviye
Sorry about the late reply, was busy writing all week.
Thanks for the commentary Dreamer, I've read and reread it several times this week. These are always fun to read.

Edit: Sorry about the weird spoilers, for some reason it cut off the spoiler halfway and nothing I did would fix it, so two spoilers had to be used.

Thanks as always for the comments.
And I think you'll really like the next story I have.
Last edit: 08 Apr 2024 01:55 by Dan Formerly Domoviye.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DanZilla, null0trooper, Dreamer

More
09 Apr 2024 02:57 #3451 by Naldru
I find 0118 999 881 999 119 725 3 to be a little confusing. The prefix 0118 999 would appear to be emergency services near Reading in the United Kingdom. There is a reference to
"0118 999 881 999 119 7253 | The IT Crowd" on Youtube belonging to Channel 4 Entertainment. www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/gt...llowing_number_into/ However, theitcrowd.fandom.com/wiki/New_Emergency_Services confirmed my thought that 999 or 911 had to be the first digits entered. Further research would appear to be damaging to rational thought.

However, I know of one case where "helpful" processing of telephone numbers had unusual consequences. A chemical plant had a system for reporting fires where entering an emergency code followed by a code for a plant location would send the plant fire department to the location.

One of the phones was located next to a pier where chemical tankers would tie up. Sailors would assume that they could use the phone to make free telephone calls back home instead of having to pay a toll. (This was many years before the existence of cell phones.) Every few weeks, some sailor who hadn't read the notices written in large letters would end up sending the fire truck to strange locations.

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds