New? Arriving? (09 Aug 2021)

Required Reading:

If it is stickied, it is stickied for a reason. Please read it.

× Stories about the Original Timeline (which runs from Fall 2006 to Spring 2010) can be found here. Also in the OT are those stories that are outside the main time frame set for them but whose protagonists are part of the student body during this time.

A Good Man by Domoviye

More
28 Dec 2021 01:25 #1038 by DanZilla
Part 3 has been released

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Dec 2021 04:32 #1040 by Naldru
Replied by Naldru on topic A Good Man by Domoviye
After reading this one, I wish you had put a warning at the beginning. I decided not to read the first two parts. It was good, but it impacted me in a way the others haven't up to now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dan Formerly Domoviye

More
28 Dec 2021 04:34 #1041 by Dan Formerly Domoviye
Sorry about that.
And yeah, you definitely shouldn't read Part 2.

Don't worry, my future stories won't get quite as dark as this one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Naldru

More
28 Dec 2021 05:36 #1042 by Dreamer
Replied by Dreamer on topic A Good Man by Domoviye
SPOILER ALERT
Below is a stream of conscious commentary I type up as I read the story. There will be details from the story included in it. If you have not read the story yet and don't wish to have details of it spoiled, read no further.

A Good Man Part 1 comments
Warning: Spoiler!

Thank You for the story comments appreciated and help me know they are being read and liked. :-) Note: My story comments can't nor are trying to replace reading the stories, simply my way of enjoying them and letting the authors know I enjoy them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: null0trooper

More
28 Dec 2021 05:37 #1043 by Dreamer
SPOILER ALERT
Below is a stream of conscious commentary I type up as I read the story. There will be details from the story included in it. If you have not read the story yet and don't wish to have details of it spoiled, read no further.

A Good Man Part 2 comments

Thank You for the story comments appreciated and help me know they are being read and liked. :-) Note: My story comments can't nor are trying to replace reading the stories, simply my way of enjoying them and letting the authors know I enjoy them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: null0trooper

More
28 Dec 2021 05:39 #1044 by Dreamer
SPOILER ALERT

A Good Man Part 3 comments

The following user(s) said Thank You: null0trooper, Dan Formerly Domoviye

More
28 Dec 2021 06:38 - 28 Dec 2021 06:58 #1045 by Dan Formerly Domoviye
Great to read your post, as usual it's a joy to see.

In answer to a few of your questions.

Whateley was fairly safe back then, just being EXTREMELY cautious. Many of the students would have friends and family attacked by mobs, police and others, along with those who were personally attacked, so they're taking the current situation very hard. Add in the surge of new students who likely escaped death or maiming by the skin of their teeth, and the majority of students are going to be nervous wrecks.
Ben is going to Hawethorne. The others in his group will be split up into various cottages. They don't have the time or people to do individual cottage tours, so it's a grab bag affair.

Rob knew what he was doing with the Director. If he didn't act like a smart ass, the Director would know something was up. As it is, it's just another, more violent round in their insults and punishments game.

Tara wasn't controlling her rage. She had a dose of the medicine which holds her rage back. She doesn't have that much control of it and never will.

And yes, Burgermeister despite his stupid name is potentially very terrifying, he also has many interesting stories.

I'm glad you liked the characters, I had most of their fates planned right from the start, but a few of them really took off, especially Tara, Rob and David (he came right out of left field as I was writing, something about him and Tara made me want to humanize him).
And when I make evil antagonists, I go heavy on the evil. They may think they have a reason for being how they are, but they're still evil assholes that I want the audience to despise.

And finally, I'm firmly in the belief that a person or a small group can make a difference. It might not be a big difference, but even little things add up. In scifi they keep going on about how if there is time travel, one little change will alter the entire future, while you don't need to wait for a time machine to do the little changes.

Thanks for the commentary, I really enjoyed it.
Last edit: 28 Dec 2021 06:58 by Dan Formerly Domoviye.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, Darkmuse

More
28 Dec 2021 21:19 #1051 by Mister D
Replied by Mister D on topic A Good Man by Domoviye
Thank you for writing this.

I re-read parts 1 & 2, before i read the latest chapter, and, it was one of the more difficult things that i've read.

It's a very harsh, and, very realistic, description of how people can behave.

It also gives a good intro to the background seeds of the various factions that exist in the later canon stories.

A harsh, but excellent addition to the Whateley Canon.

More
28 Dec 2021 23:48 - 29 Dec 2021 00:06 #1054 by Maladyusted
Replied by Maladyusted on topic A Good Man by Domoviye
Carter... ... Well, the MCO just lost two good researchers and stuff... That'll set them back a while, hopefully and stuff.

I was worried about the kids up to 'til the end! But yay! They're alive!

And if Tara's got a copy of the chems... Unless the MCO somehow is dealing in DEV drugs, it'll be recreatable...

Woah, Burgermeister, you were something like, two decades ago. Nice!

Mallory... Damn. Mallory. Drunk Reporter Blackmail stuff. Oof.

What's your Author profile pic? I assume your Forum one is Scary Tink Cosplay...

Also wondering where this MCO facility is on the Worst to Best during this time period... Just in case I need to set something this when...
Last edit: 29 Dec 2021 00:06 by Maladyusted.

More
29 Dec 2021 01:44 #1055 by Dan Formerly Domoviye

Carter... ... Well, the MCO just lost two good researchers and stuff... That'll set them back a while, hopefully and stuff.

I was worried about the kids up to 'til the end! But yay! They're alive!

And if Tara's got a copy of the chems... Unless the MCO somehow is dealing in DEV drugs, it'll be recreatable...

Woah, Burgermeister, you were something like, two decades ago. Nice!

Mallory... Damn. Mallory. Drunk Reporter Blackmail stuff. Oof.

What's your Author profile pic? I assume your Forum one is Scary Tink Cosplay...

Also wondering where this MCO facility is on the Worst to Best during this time period... Just in case I need to set something this when...

Thanks for the comment.
With the drugs for Tara, they have a limited supply and finding someone who can figure out what chemicals are needed and in what amount wouldn't be cheap. So it's unlikely they'll be able to recreate it without a lot of time, effort and funds.

Burgermeisters story is an interesting one, and terrifying.

Mallory only drinks when he's depressed. At that particular moment, he was starting a bender.

My author profile pic is for a character I came up with a while ago that will probably be used in one of my original stories featuring mutants.
My forum pic is actually of my daughter from Halloween in 2020 when she was dressed up as a Japanese ghost girl.

And the MCO lab would be somewhere around the middle, rapidly going downhill.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Maladyusted, Dreamer, Wavehead, Mister D

More
19 Jan 2022 22:22 #1186 by Naldru
Replied by Naldru on topic A Good Man by Domoviye
There is a line in the introduction of an old radio show: "Who knows what evil lurks in the minds of men. The Shadow Knows." It just seems that the way the world is going, we are getting too much of an education on this topic. I guess recent events made me more sensitive.

More
19 Jan 2022 22:26 #1187 by Dan Formerly Domoviye
I tend to use things I see in the modern day in my stories. I try not to be preachy about it, and it has to fit the story, but its often there.
The polarization of the last several years, with ever growing extremism, yeah, it played a big part in this one.

Glad it got through without overpowering the story.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mister D

Time to create page: 0.081 seconds