New? Arriving? (09 Aug 2021)

Required Reading:

If it is stickied, it is stickied for a reason. Please read it.

× Stories about the Original Timeline (which runs from Fall 2006 to Spring 2010) can be found here. Also in the OT are those stories that are outside the main time frame set for them but whose protagonists are part of the student body during this time.

Knockoff 2 - Fight or Flight by ElrodW

More
08 Feb 2022 01:07 #1288 by DanZilla
Knockoff 2 - Fight or Flight (part 3) by ElrodW is available

Knockoff 2 - Fight or Flight (part 3)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mister D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Feb 2022 02:16 #1289 by mhalpern
Have to mention this, not done reading. Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly, that's a fun phrase, generally associated with rocketry. 

Micro scenes and bad ideas are freely adoptable

More
08 Feb 2022 02:58 #1290 by Horrid
ty for starting this thread Danzilla. ElrodW, if you ever read this ty for finishing the Knockoff story. It seems like a long time between updates but I always remember (1) there is a lot going on in the real world and (2) you guys are providing this great stuff for free. I remember how excited i was when you introduced Kayda and we were introduced to you as a new cabal author and i am very grateful for this story and for all the wonderful tales you have told of Whateley. smile emoji! heart heart heart LOL
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dan Formerly Domoviye, Dreamer

More
08 Feb 2022 03:11 #1291 by mhalpern
well-designed game, I wonder if we'll see it in gen2, but I don't think Volante will stop until she learns she's harassing her half-sister, and Martina isn't going to spill those beans, 

More
08 Feb 2022 04:01 #1292 by Wavehead
That was a fun read   Weaving so many characters into the “plot” made the story especially interesting for me

More
08 Feb 2022 08:05 - 08 Feb 2022 08:09 #1293 by Valentine
Yay! More Knockoff. And more of all the other characters. Team Kimba was used well in this story, they are present, interact with the main characters, and don't steal the spotlight. Although allowing Tennyo to participate in any sort of flying competition is downright cheating. Nice inclusion of the previously name-dropped Stratosphere Siblings. 

Having seen the flying club in Gen 2 stories, I admit I didn't expect Knockoff to be the instigator. I think I was expecting Sphere, or an older character. Well done, and well told.

Watching them, Mrs. Carson shook her head. "I have a bad feeling that the lesson didn't sink in, and that we haven't seen the last of the harassment."

I see Mrs. Carson has experience with Whateley students.

PS: Nice Casablanca reference.
Last edit: 08 Feb 2022 08:09 by Valentine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer

More
08 Feb 2022 08:27 #1294 by Pyro Hawk
Well, I just about fell off my chair laughing at the last few paragraphs.  So good job.

Having said   I'm now rather interested in seeing what comes of these events by the time of the 2nd Generation.  Because between how much interest there was by the students, both for playing and watching, and how the Arena is likely to be used for future matches and thus outside betting agencies having access to recordings of the   Well, I somehow suspect it's going to have gone mainstream to a degree.  Especially with how you don't need to be a mutant to play, just possess flight capabilities.  Which could be innate or from a machine of some kind.  Thus widening the potential field of players.

More
08 Feb 2022 08:42 #1295 by Dreamer
SPOILER ALERT
Below is a stream of conscious commentary I type up as I read the story. There will be details from the story included in it. If you have not read the story yet and don't wish to have details of it spoiled, read no further.

Knockoff 2-Fight or Flight, Part 1 comments
Warning: Spoiler!

Thank You for the story comments appreciated and help me know they are being read and liked. :-) Note: My story comments can't nor are trying to replace reading the stories, simply my way of enjoying them and letting the authors know I enjoy them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: null0trooper, Dan Formerly Domoviye, mhalpern

More
08 Feb 2022 08:43 #1296 by Dreamer
SPOILER ALERT
Below is a stream of conscious commentary I type up as I read the story. There will be details from the story included in it. If you have not read the story yet and don't wish to have details of it spoiled, read no further.

Knockoff 2: Fight or Flight Part 2 comments

Thank You for the story comments appreciated and help me know they are being read and liked. :-) Note: My story comments can't nor are trying to replace reading the stories, simply my way of enjoying them and letting the authors know I enjoy them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: null0trooper, Dan Formerly Domoviye, mhalpern

More
08 Feb 2022 08:44 #1297 by Dreamer
SPOILER ALERT

Knockoff 2: Fight or Flight Part 3 comments

More
08 Feb 2022 12:38 #1298 by Darkmuse
Excellent story. I imagine that it wasn't easy to write, a lot of characters and a lot of moving parts. Good ideas expertly handled.

Well done ElrodW

More
08 Feb 2022 14:04 #1299 by mhalpern
on them being railroaded into starting Flight Club, they did kinda invite it on themselves, by stipulating a flight oriented contest and further seeding the idea that was the genesis of a new sport, they consumed a lot of sim resources and generated a lot of interest that school wouldn't want to go to waste, the races could easily be recycled in flight class, but the game is about more than just flying, consumed the bulk of the resources and created the most interest, it's also the most useful, because it forces the players to react and do other tasks (focus on objectives, intercept and avoidance) while flying. It probably consumed similar resources to a Crash sim to create too. 

There are other benefits as well if they can keep interest going, Part of the reason why behind the scenes Whateley allows the arena feeds to be hacked for gambling purposes is not only does it allow them some control over what streams get leaked and gets some revenue, but it eats into the market of the underground gladiatorial combat rings that don't care about the safety of the contestants. If the flying games are successful, they could exist outside the school as a public sport

More
08 Feb 2022 18:29 #1300 by null0trooper
Setup's reaction to Gunny Bardue is priceless, considering she had graduated years before he was hired in 1995.

“Staff Sergeant Bardue, would you like a job?” Carson asked with a smile.
“Uncle Sam owns me for a few more years, ma’am,” he replied.  “But I might come see you when I retire.  This looks like it could be my kind of place.”

He might not have arrived for a few years, but that sounds like a hiring decision to me.

"Stepping Out": Story link .

Story Discussion

More
08 Feb 2022 18:31 #1301 by Dan Formerly Domoviye

SPOILER ALERT

I think you're being a bit harsh on Cindy and Lina.
They stopped Christina from getting into a fight with Martina, which considering Christina's powers, could seriously hurt Martina.
It's likely they were whispering to Christina telling her she would get into trouble, and that it would be smarter to report it. Not the best solution in the world, but it stops any violence, which should be the first concern.

And I don't see how they lied to Mrs. Horton. The House Mother covered what happened fairly well, Christina did start it, and Martina escalated.

Cindy and Lina in my opinion are just two neutral girls, trying to keep a nasty fight from happening.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, mhalpern

More
08 Feb 2022 19:48 #1302 by mhalpern

Needlessly, Jadis nodded acknowledgment. She skimmed another tidbit of data on Setup, then started folding her laptop, but something made her stop and re-open the computer. She studied the fragment of data, then, her eyes wide open, she pulled up another note, and then another, then looked at the first one again. "This doesn't make sense!" she commented to herself, shaking her head and frowning at the data she was seeing. "What is going on here?"

I think Jadis stumbled upon something that we learned in "You can choose your friends" Namely the timing of the Naples job, and Martina's age.

Time to create page: 0.209 seconds