New? Arriving? (09 Aug 2021)

Required Reading:

If it is stickied, it is stickied for a reason. Please read it.

× Stories about the Original Timeline (which runs from Fall 2006 to Spring 2010) can be found here. Also in the OT are those stories that are outside the main time frame set for them but whose protagonists are part of the student body during this time.

Knockoff 2 - Fight or Flight by ElrodW

More
08 Feb 2022 20:16 #1303 by Schol-R-LEA
Well done, ElrodW. Though I have to admit I am surprised that something like this hadn't happened before, though there may simply not have been a large enough pool of fliers until now to make up teams.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Feb 2022 22:16 #1304 by ElrodW

PS: Nice Casablanca reference.
I wondered if anyone would get that.

More
09 Feb 2022 01:15 #1305 by Valentine
I'm still waiting for Oddball, Crapgame, and Barbara to show up.

More
11 Feb 2022 01:27 #1308 by Court
I am surprised that the bookies don't use parimutuel odds. Using parimutuel odds (as they do at horse racing) guarantees that the house always wins.

More
11 Feb 2022 01:59 #1309 by mhalpern

I am surprised that the bookies don't use parimutuel odds. Using parimutuel odds (as they do at horse racing) guarantees that the house always wins.

too many exemplars who'd catch on,

Micro scenes and bad ideas are freely adoptable

More
11 Feb 2022 02:18 #1310 by Court

too many exemplars who'd catch on,
No, any individual can still win. It is the set of all gamblers collectively that is guaranteed to lose. If the fact that the house will win overall stopped people from gambling, cassinos and lotteries would not be in business.

More
11 Feb 2022 02:27 #1311 by Court
After reading this:

The long straight flight vanished into a desert canyon landscape, with the canyon walls striped with various shades of reds, yellows, and oranges, and Martina was reminded of the landscapes in Arizona. She had a brief hint of homesickness, missing those stunning vistas, before she refocused on following the canyon, with sharp turns to the left and right and no long straight stretches. Rounding one corner in a sharp left-hand turn, she had to suddenly dive to make the next obstacle, an arched rock formation.

and this:

she was above a highway that bored straight into a long tunnel through a mountain. Though it was straight, there was not a lot of margin for error in either her vertical or side-to-side variation in her flight path,

was anyone else worried that a bright light was going to appear ahead of her, accompanied by a "Beep, beep!"?
The following user(s) said Thank You: DanZilla, Sir Lee, Commander Knight, Dan Formerly Domoviye

More
12 Feb 2022 23:55 #1312 by Valentine

Greed, and overconfidence. The various bookies think that they can compute the odds so that they will win more than they lose, instead of just taking a percentage of the total bets.

More
13 Feb 2022 17:24 #1313 by Sir Lee
There's also the matter that this is an unofficial, unsanctioned, technically forbidden operation. Parimutuel odds are fine as long as the operation is aboveboard and auditable. If nobody else has access to the betting data, this is essentially giving the bookie carte blanche to manipulate the odds after the fact, just by saying anything to the winner up to "actually, everybody bet the same as you, so your winnings are... 80% of what you bet, that is, you lost 20%" Granted, that's an extreme case, but in an illegal betting system you want to know upfront how much a particular bet is going to pay.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Court, Dan Formerly Domoviye

More
13 Feb 2022 18:19 #1314 by Court
Thanks, Sir Lee.  That makes sense.   I had not thought about that.

Time to create page: 0.057 seconds