New? Arriving? (09 Aug 2021)

Required Reading:

If it is stickied, it is stickied for a reason. Please read it.

× Stories about the Original Timeline (which runs from Fall 2006 to Spring 2010) can be found here. Also in the OT are those stories that are outside the main time frame set for them but whose protagonists are part of the student body during this time.

Short Tales by Amethyst

More
15 Nov 2022 01:01 #2472 by DanZilla
Short Tales can be found in the Gen 1 section or by using the link below... and please remember our authors are doing this for the response they get... please leave comments where you can for appreciated stories or if you have anything to bring to the conversation of written word and readers.

Short Tales
The following user(s) said Thank You: null0trooper, Mister D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Nov 2022 02:24 #2473 by Naldru
Replied by Naldru on topic Short Tales by Amethyst
Looking at this, I was wondering about the mechanics for introducing synergies and interactions with the older characters. For example, Jericho might be able to assist Bug-Out with assistive devices. I was also wondering about the Audio Digital Assistant (ADA) that Bug-Out has. Was it coincidental or was some intention to use the fact that ADA also stands for Americans with Disabilities Act or that Ada, Countess of Lovelace is considered by many to be the first computer programmer, for whom the Ada programming language was named.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer

More
15 Nov 2022 04:40 - 15 Nov 2022 04:53 #2475 by Rosalie Redd

Looking at this, I was wondering about the mechanics for introducing synergies and interactions with the older characters. For example, Jericho might be able to assist Bug-Out with assistive devices. I was also wondering about the Audio Digital Assistant (ADA) that Bug-Out has. Was it coincidental or was some intention to use the fact that ADA also stands for Americans with Disabilities Act or that Ada, Countess of Lovelace is considered by many to be the first computer programmer, for whom the Ada programming language was named.

In general we discuss synergies with the original author of the character, if at all possible. If they are not available we use our best judgement and try to keep the use to a form that we believe the author would approve of. For example, if Amethyst wanted to write a scene involving Robin, Nikki, and Gwen she would discuss the scene with Morpheus, to get approval for using Absinthe, and he would help her to get as accurate a feel of the character as possible. For Nikki's part, we would try to honor what we know of Maggie's intentions as far as the character, and not make any dramatic or sweeping changes.
Last edit: 15 Nov 2022 04:53 by Rosalie Redd.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer

More
15 Nov 2022 04:52 - 15 Nov 2022 04:54 #2476 by Amethyst
Replied by Amethyst on topic Short Tales by Amethyst
Yup, what Rose said in regard to synergy with other characters. It was fun using Tansy and Lanie, but I always want to make sure that the characters feel right according to how they're portrayed or intended by the original author, so getting input of others is essential and we discuss a lot of that on Discord. As for ADA, I'm pleased that someone got the reference to the Ada programming language. I was just glad that the anagram was so easy to make work. The Americans with Disabilities Act fitting as well was just an amusing coincidence and not intended since Casidi is Irish Canadian.
Last edit: 15 Nov 2022 04:54 by Amethyst.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, Mister D

More
15 Nov 2022 06:30 #2477 by Dreamer
Replied by Dreamer on topic Short Tales by Amethyst
SPOILER ALERT
Below is a stream of conscious commentary I type up as I read the story. There will be details from the story included in it. If you have not read the story yet and don't wish to have details of it spoiled, read no further.

Short Tales comments
Warning: Spoiler!

Thank You for the story comments appreciated and help me know they are being read and liked. :-) Note: My story comments can't nor are trying to replace reading the stories, simply my way of enjoying them and letting the authors know I enjoy them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: null0trooper, Dan Formerly Domoviye

More
15 Nov 2022 06:56 #2478 by Dan Formerly Domoviye
Dreamer, I want to state for the record, FrankenCorp was ALL Astro's idea.
Yes I'm a sado-masichist when it comes to my stories, but not every evil idea is mine.

Thanks for the commentary.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, mhalpern

More
15 Nov 2022 07:13 #2480 by Amethyst
Replied by Amethyst on topic Short Tales by Amethyst
Thanks for the commentary, Dreamer. Yeah, there was a lot to mentally digest there including quite a bit of tragedy and heartbreak. Bug-Out and Gestalt were hard to write at times, I teared up a lot. We will see more of all of these characters in Felicia's story. The first part, A Short Tail should be finished soon, and these characters will be her group of friends at Whateley or involved in other aspects of her life. Taffy holds a special place in my heart too, I liked the idea of someone standing in the face of expectations and typecasting, someone who would have a hard time fitting in even at Poe but who has no issues standing up for herself and doing things her own way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dan Formerly Domoviye, Dreamer, Mister D

More
15 Nov 2022 08:46 #2482 by null0trooper

Looking at this, I was wondering about the mechanics for introducing synergies and interactions with the older characters.

One thing I try to keep in mind is that Whateley Academy is still an American high school, with high-school age social structures. Outside of shared special interests, freshmen and juniors don't share classes, don't share residence floors, and don't even hang out much. Even with shared interests between two characters that would cut across class lines, there remains a lot that you or I will know from reading the stories that the characters cannot learn about each other before some given point in time.

"Stepping Out": Story link .

Story Discussion
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dan Formerly Domoviye, Dreamer

More
15 Nov 2022 18:21 #2484 by Rosalie Redd
A few of these characters were ideas I gave to Ame, Taffy and Hematoma, especially... that's why they are given the short end of the stick, because I'm evil.

More
16 Nov 2022 11:42 #2485 by Astrodragon
Replied by Astrodragon on topic Short Tales by Amethyst
:D

More
18 Nov 2022 13:46 #2487 by mhalpern
Replied by mhalpern on topic Short Tales by Amethyst

Dreamer, I want to state for the record, FrankenCorp was ALL Astro's idea.
Yes I'm a sado-masichist when it comes to my stories, but not every evil idea is mine.

Thanks for the commentary.

true, you don't always bother with letting your characters dangle from high heights before ending a chapter, sometimes they're actively falling.

Micro scenes and bad ideas are freely adoptable
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dan Formerly Domoviye

More
29 Nov 2022 01:32 - 30 Nov 2022 00:36 #2496 by Naldru
Replied by Naldru on topic Short Tales by Amethyst
As far as recognizing Ada, I should mention that I have been involved in computer programming for decades and actually took a number of courses in the Ada programming language. There have been a number of fictional characters named Ada, usually either artificial intelligences or computer geeks.
Last edit: 30 Nov 2022 00:36 by Naldru.

Time to create page: 0.076 seconds