New? Arriving? (09 Aug 2021)

Required Reading:

If it is stickied, it is stickied for a reason. Please read it.

× This section is for Second Generation stories, predominantly from the student body from Fall of 2016 to Spring of 2020.

Where There's Smoke There's Fire

More
09 Nov 2021 03:10 #762 by DanZilla
The third part of Where there's Smoke There's Fire is available... please leave comments below
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dan Formerly Domoviye

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Nov 2021 04:31 #763 by Dreamer
SPOILER ALERT
Below is a stream of conscious commentary I type up as I read the story. There will be details from the story included in it. If you have not read the story yet and don't wish to have details of it spoiled, read no further.

Where There's Smoke There's Fire Part 3 comments
Warning: Spoiler!

Thank You for the story comments appreciated and help me know they are being read and liked. :-) Note: My story comments can't nor are trying to replace reading the stories, simply my way of enjoying them and letting the authors know I enjoy them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: null0trooper

More
09 Nov 2021 09:53 #764 by Astrodragon
Dreamer, thank you for your wonderful comments as always.

It's not quite that Morgana is a visious fighter exactly; it takes a while for most people to really go all-out in combat, but her earlier experiences with the cult and demon have worked her through this. The others will catch up.

Well, nephandus and his father haven't yet found out that Morgana went to Whateley, although they are starting to close in on her. When they find out, they will have a decision to make.

You're actually bing unfair to Venus. The GSD calendar appears most years. The girls are talking (in private) with brutal honesty about the beauty business, which the senior members are now well aware of how cutthroat and demanding it is. The Councellsing department actually approve of the calendar for a couple of reasons - negative self image is a MAJOR issue fir girls with GSD, and appearing in a well-selling calendar is a big boost for those girls. It also helps others who might not have been in it, but see that GSD girls can be admired and seen as attractive. So overall its a benefit and the school approves.

A crush on Morgana by smokey? Smokey is a mooch, and Morgana spoils him!

Ah, Thulia!
I promise I will (finally) be revealing exactly what she is in my next few stories.

Caitlin and Grimes started off as enemies. After 10 years of working together, its now just the faculty equivalent of an ongoing prank war. Currently Grimes is ahead having conned Caitlin into looking after the two girls, but Caitlin is planning a retaliatory strike!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer

More
09 Nov 2021 18:11 - 09 Nov 2021 18:19 #766 by Cryptic
I kind of want to duck tape Neaph and Olly to an unflushed Hawthorn toilet this installment.

So B is going the Harry Dresden route for protection? Cool. Which gives me a question I need to ask in Plot...
And if she's ripping off ideas from Harry, she should look into his rings.
Last edit: 09 Nov 2021 18:19 by Cryptic.

More
09 Nov 2021 19:12 #769 by Astrodragon
Well, Bianca is from Chicago as well, maybe its a popular technique there.

More
10 Nov 2021 01:16 #772 by cprime
My thoughts on the Venus, Inc scene in part 3

Other thoughts.

One other random thought - Why can I see a three-way prank war between Mrs Grimes, Catlin and the Imp being just as chaotic as the one between Jade, Beltane and Absinthe?

More
10 Nov 2021 01:32 #773 by Dreamer

Dreamer, thank you for your wonderful comments as always.
Thank you for being one of the authors here who brings us such wonderful stories to read.

It's not quite that Morgana is a visious fighter exactly; it takes a while for most people to really go all-out in combat, but her earlier experiences with the cult and demon have worked her through this. The others will catch up.

Ah, that makes sense.

Well, nephandus and his father haven't yet found out that Morgana went to Whateley, although they are starting to close in on her. When they find out, they will have a decision to make.

We can only hope they might the wise choice, Nephandus probably heard rumors about what happened to the Tong of the Black Madonna.

You're actually bing unfair to Venus. The GSD calendar appears most years. The girls are talking (in private) with brutal honesty about the beauty business, which the senior members are now well aware of how cutthroat and demanding it is. The Councellsing department actually approve of the calendar for a couple of reasons - negative self image is a MAJOR issue fir girls with GSD, and appearing in a well-selling calendar is a big boost for those girls. It also helps others who might not have been in it, but see that GSD girls can be admired and seen as attractive. So overall its a benefit and the school approves.

I'm sorry, you are right, I was projecting my own feelings from junior high and high school, hearing girls bad mouthing other girls and wishing I could do something about it, onto them. Plus I don't understand the beauty business. I can see how it can help out the girls now.

A crush on Morgana by smokey? Smokey is a mooch, and Morgana spoils him!

Oh no! Never spoil a young dragon, you will never get rid of them as long as you live.

Ah, Thulia!
I promise I will (finally) be revealing exactly what she is in my next few stories.

Yay! I can't wait to find out, I bet it will something none of us thought of yet.

Caitlin and Grimes started off as enemies. After 10 years of working together, its now just the faculty equivalent of an ongoing prank war. Currently Grimes is ahead having conned Caitlin into looking after the two girls, but Caitlin is planning a retaliatory strike!

Heh, I would love to see how their prank war works when it isn't just to set each other up for jobs they don't wish to do or snarking at each other.

Thank You for the story comments appreciated and help me know they are being read and liked. :-) Note: My story comments can't nor are trying to replace reading the stories, simply my way of enjoying them and letting the authors know I enjoy them.

More
10 Nov 2021 05:06 #774 by Dan Formerly Domoviye
Great story.
Nothing earth shattering, but a nice set up for several interesting events. Learning more about Thulia will be nice. And I can't wait to see how the cult goes after Morgana, it should be rather explosive.

Good work.

More
10 Nov 2021 08:36 - 10 Nov 2021 16:58 #775 by Astrodragon
Checkov's armoury was actually quite busy in this episode, there will be quite a few consequences...
Last edit: 10 Nov 2021 16:58 by Astrodragon.

More
10 Nov 2021 08:37 #776 by Astrodragon
Both Grimes and Caitlin are signed up to the Whateley War Crimes agreement, Imp is not to be used in a prank war... :D :D
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dan Formerly Domoviye, Dreamer, cprime

More
15 Nov 2021 20:15 #794 by ghoti
Couple thoughts.

One solution to some issues of Bianca might be to find a way to recharge the inbuilt stuff. It's not an automatic fix, but considering her status is different from other holders of the White Lady mantle, it's not unreasonable to see her looking into workarounds for that and also for some other weaknesses. Considering the relationships with Avatars and spirits, especially forces growing to fit a hallow, it's something she could look at. She is after all the first known mutant to host the mantle, so it could grow and change from that as well. Of course, getting a Cobra gun or something similar would also be a good step. She has the resources of the Family behind her, after all. Speaking of resources, were I in the Family, I think I'd be trying my best to see what Scorn is up to and what I can do to bring that organization down. I would think they might be overextended and going into debt trying to attack us, and I'd use that against them. Since information is a good part of my organization, I'm wondering why the Family couldn't capitalize on weaknesses or retaliate either directly or indirectly. Speaking of Whately neutrality violations, this could potentially be the end of Scorn's whole organization if you play it right.

Now, with Nephandus and his dad playing middleman, that's an interesting position to be in. Your rep is to provide value for money, so once you know the situation, you appraise your client of it, and then you disengage. I doubt the cult has enough resources to provide incentive to break the neutrality for this organization, especially as his dad is reputed to be much more cautious than his mom. The cult might do it on their own initiative of course, but I don't see them dragging anyone else with much clout into it.

As to the Venus Inc meeting, you might call them callous, but I'm not seeing the malice. I used to work out with hard-core bodybuilders a long time ago, and I know the type at least a little bit. You see it a little bit in the performing arts as well. For example, I just saw a mini documentary on Ted Cassidy, who played Lurch on the Addams Family. Being 6'9" meant there were very few roles he could get cast in, even though he was a great actor and also did voiceovers. I totally relate - I'm only 6'4" but every show I go for I'm either the heavy or the lovable oaf, or not cast. Most shows I've done I'm either the tallest or the heaviest of the whole cast and sometimes both; and with my build that's the kind of role I can get. Considering stories I've heard about the fashion industry and even from techies in other fields where there's a premium on unhealthy behavior, the girls in Venus Inc sound positively nice in comparison. As for the GSD theme, it sounds a lot better than some themes that they could have done and probably have in the past.

Big fat hint given to the reader that Thulia is probably partially mortal. The magic teachers' conference plus her grandmother's reminiscence seems to lead one that way.

More
15 Nov 2021 20:23 #795 by Astrodragon
The issue of charging magic items is my view on limiting them. So you can have a cheap one-use item, a very expensive permanent one, or, in between, a rechargeable one. Making the recharging cause wear allows you to choose how well (and how expensive in time and materials) you wish to make it.

Thulia? Oh, there are lots of hints scattered through Morgana's stories, but soon you will know all! bwahahahahahaha!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, Mister D

More
01 Feb 2022 01:15 #1237 by DanZilla
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mister D

More
01 Feb 2022 04:13 #1238 by cprime
How about a few random thoughts, this time as I read
The following user(s) said Thank You: Astrodragon, null0trooper, Dreamer

More
01 Feb 2022 04:48 #1239 by Dreamer
SPOILER ALERT
Below is a stream of conscious commentary I type up as I read the story. There will be details from the story included in it. If you have not read the story yet and don't wish to have details of it spoiled, read no further.

Where There's Smoke There's Fire Part 4 comments

The following user(s) said Thank You: Astrodragon, null0trooper, Dan Formerly Domoviye

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds