New? Arriving? (09 Aug 2021)

Required Reading:

If it is stickied, it is stickied for a reason. Please read it.

× Discussion space for stories in the Whateley Independent Fiction collection

Triptych discussion

More
29 Nov 2021 12:49 #867 by null0trooper

"Stepping Out": Story link .

Story Discussion
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wavehead

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Dec 2021 18:57 #952 by null0trooper
Replied by null0trooper on topic Triptych discussion
And Part Two is up.

Benjamin turns sixteen and cake is to be had. Soon enough, he'll be meeting the Colombine that could have been and the Colombine that is. Hands up, everyone in your right mind who'd take someone home to meet the parents at the end of your first, rocky, play date.

Story Discussion

More
14 Dec 2021 10:55 #975 by Wavehead
Replied by Wavehead on topic Triptych discussion
I am increasingly enjoying this story of yours especially, as it takes me a while to work out the characters interrelationships and previous history :blink:
Keeps my brain working lol
Also I’m hoping that you have more planned for this story after Part 3 :sogood:

More
23 Dec 2021 00:33 #1018 by null0trooper

I am increasingly enjoying this story of yours especially, as it takes me a while to work out the characters interrelationships and previous history

There's one character in Part One that no one's picked up on B) But, that's worldbuilding for you!

Keeps my brain working lol
Also I’m hoping that you have more planned for this story after Part 3 :sogood:

Part Three still has a few surprises for readers, not to mention cameos from Flowers of the Sun.

After that? Benjamin's set to bunk with a guy who's run off more roommates than Fractious in her first semester. Then he manages to earn himself a detention even earlier in the term than Murphy. :evil:

Story Discussion

More
25 Dec 2021 18:46 #1025 by Naldru
Replied by Naldru on topic Triptych discussion
I was just wondering what a shénqì líhún was and what language it was in. It was mentioned in part II.
The following user(s) said Thank You: null0trooper

More
25 Dec 2021 21:57 #1026 by null0trooper

I was just wondering what a shénqì líhún was and what language it was in. It was mentioned in part II.

神器灵魂 (artifact soul) is the closest I could get with Google Translate's Chinese to the concept of a tool that has gained a spirit of its own or an artificial spirit.

Naomi knows that Colombine is somewhere between being a very, very clever machine, a possessed object, or prehaps a real person (after a fashion), so words do fail.

Story Discussion
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mister D

More
28 Dec 2021 09:13 - 28 Dec 2021 09:28 #1047 by Mister D
Replied by Mister D on topic Triptych discussion

神器灵魂 (artifact soul) is the closest I could get with Google Translate's Chinese to the concept of a tool that has gained a spirit of its own or an artificial spirit.

Naomi knows that Colombine is somewhere between being a very, very clever machine, a possessed object, or prehaps a real person (after a fashion), so words do fail.

I had only come across this from Japanese folklore.

It makes sense that there's a Chinese equivalent.

Each person wiped their glasses down, then pitched them into the rocks, never to be put to a lesser use.

That's an explanation of that ritual that fits.

I had always wondered where it came from. :D

Wonderfully dense writing. The way you use the 1st-person pov of an intelligent narrator who doesn't know the full context works really effectively. :D
Last edit: 28 Dec 2021 09:28 by Mister D. Reason: L'esprit D'escalier
The following user(s) said Thank You: null0trooper

More
28 Dec 2021 14:48 #1050 by null0trooper

Each person wiped their glasses down, then pitched them into the rocks, never to be put to a lesser use.

That's an explanation of that ritual that fits.

I had always wondered where it came from. :D

Nothing else quite fit as a way to show Colombine that "tomorrow we may all be dead, but tonight -- tonight we are alive and that's what matters." That why it had to be vodka and Benjamin had to be the one to bring an unopened bottle.

Wonderfully dense writing. The way you use the 1st-person pov of an intelligent narrator who doesn't know the full context works really effectively. :D

Thank you! It was important to me to show that even though Colombine is an artificial intelligence, the stakes from her perspective are entirely real and as irrevocable as if she were a human teenager.

Story Discussion

Time to create page: 0.058 seconds