New? Arriving? (09 Aug 2021)

Required Reading:

If it is stickied, it is stickied for a reason. Please read it.

× This is a place where you can ask plot questions. Note that plot questions about events that have not yet happened are unlikely to get canon responses. But if there is something about a story that already released that you don't understand or if you are trying to piece things together, this is the place to ask.

Ecto and casting techniques

More
03 Oct 2021 01:59 #578 by Softdreams
Hi there! It's been a while. As a first-time user of the new site. My apologies if I'm asking this question in the wrong section.

I've got a character which I talked about plenty in the old forum (Fantasmal/Phantasmagoria; Wiz 3, Man 3). Let me get to the question, non-super sorcerors avoid being wasteful and use their Essence quite carefully. Therefore, flashy magic isn't an option for these mages. What I mean by flashy magic is glowing circles, orbs, glowing pentagrams, magebolts, glowing auras etc

By definition, Fantasmal is far from a super-sorceror but they are a manifestor (Beltane-style, versatile manifestor) I was wondering, if my character started using ectoplasm to simulate flashy magic; an ectoplasm-based illusion of a glowing aura, drawing glowing sigils or glyphs on the air, making magic circles and use these to cast spells (all of these ecto-based illusions) and use these to shape Essence into spells (Fantasmal does not have Magesight, which isn't neccessary but definitely makes things easier). Would this interfere with the spells somehow? Or make the spells go wrong/weaken them?

Technically, it would make sense it did since the ecto-based illusions would be like any other concentration techniques to cast spells, but since the laws of magics and traditions dictate that certain things just cannot be done. I felt the need to ask. I think something similar was discussed in one of Glyph's stories. I just can't remember where or when.

Also, are there any ways to combine magic and ectoplasm effectively to avoid using up as much Essence. For example (this is something I've had in mind for a while), a Manifestor (ectoplasm manifestor) who's also a mage summons up a 'fire' or 'ice' ball (you know tangible illusions, since it's all still ectoplasm) and then uses a minor spell or cantrip to either spark up a decent flame around the manifested ball or freeze it up instead of having to use a lot more of Essence to use some of the fancier Combat magics, would the fire make the ectoplasm dissipate (is the stuff even flammable) or the ecto put the fire out? Anyway, I guess you've got the idea (I currently lack the words to phrase this any better), please feel free to discuss/mention any scenarios/ways in which these could be combined or negate one another. I just need to straighten out some ideas.

I think Bek mentioned once that ectoplasm could be used to put out fire in the old forum.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2021 20:18 #582 by cprime
Replied by cprime on topic Ecto and casting techniques
While I don't have a WoG prospective on things, I do have a few thoughts with regards to the interactions between Ectoplasm and magic.

One thing to consider is that some amount of mental focus is required both to perform acts of magic and to create ectoplasmatic manifestations. If your character were to use ectoplasm to bling out the casting process, they would be dividing their attention between the spell casting and the manifestation process. This in turn could result in a less efficient spellcasting which in turn would result in a greater usage of essence or a less powerful/controlable result.

I forget where it was stated in the Glyph stories, but the act of drawing out a glyph is part of what empowers the result. This is why glyphs can't just be photocopied. Imagine for a moment that you give Glyph a bottle of distilled water and a paintbrush. While she could certainly draw glyphs using the water and empower them with mana, she is using a writing medium that is generally ill suited to the purpose. In addition, the water itself would evaporate over time (anywhere from minutes to hours), eventually causing the glyph to fail. I used distilled water in this example, as it is a reasonable facsimile of ectoplasm as a drawing medium. When drawing with the ectoplasm, it would be necessary to form the glyph stroke by stroke rather than as a completed whole (drawing vs copying). In addition, the ectoplasm would vanish over time (probably seconds to minutes), resulting in a rapid degradation of the glyph. This degradation would be more complete than in the example, as there would essentially be no trace of the ectoplasm, while the distilled water would leave minimal residue behind.

As far as the creation of the stereotypical element ball is concerned, I think it would be easier to go all-in with one method or the other, rather than mix them together. Consider the difference between creating an object such as a brick (the masonry type, not the power set) out of ectoplasm and forming an insubstantial mass of ectoplasm that looks like a brick. The effort required is likely about the same. While it would be possible to take the later and enchant it so that it had the durability of a brick, It probably would have been faster to just make a brick.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Softdreams

More
04 Oct 2021 03:09 #591 by Kristin Darken
Soft, you should take a look at my "theory of all the things" as presented during the 2020 Crystal Con. Once I get it moved over here... anyway.

Quick summary version, though... is that much of the 'stuff' that mutants do comes down to psychic imprinting on ectoplasm.... ie that many mutants have a degree of Warping that allows them to create small breaches in the Veil between worlds/dimensions, which allows some of the energy created by the friction/dynamic energy of various worlds rubbing against each other to bleed into our universe. The form of that energy is ectoplasm. As energy without universal law giving it form, it quickly gains form to fit into the universe's concensus - it 'evaporates'. Unless some other 'law' is imposed on it. Which is the other half of the mutant equation... these mutants also have one or another forms of psionic ability, which allows them to impose 'structure' on the 'raw' ectoplasm.

For Regenerators, that form is organic tissue. For Manifestors, it is physical objects - weapons, armor - or functional illusions. For Pyrokinetics, it is Fire. For Hydrokinetics, Water. For Shifters, it is additional mass... organic tissue or whatever. The only real exceptions to this... are the Exemplar, who are purely physical evolutions reaching beyond human genetics as a result of their BIT. Avatars... whose powers are fed by energy from the spirit world, though the manifestation of that power in the physical world is virtually identical to ectoplasm. Psychics who don't need an external energy source. And mages. Because Essence is their power source.

So... what can be done with ectoplasm is a lot. But Mages are the one group of mutants who really don't need to 'draw' ectoplasm... because they have Essence.

But yes, Mages CAN use magic to draw ectoplasm and then use magic to impose shape on it... in the same way that mutants do with Warping and Psionics. But its not ideal for Mages... because they're applying their willpower at an extra 'remove' from what a Manifestor is. The Manifestor is directly applying intent on the ectoplasm. The Mage is applying their will on a spell made of Essence which is in turn drawing and directing the ectoplasm's shape. So the Mage will have to do 'more' work than the Manifestor, or Regen, or Shifter, or Pyrokinetic for the same result.

Fate guard you, and may the Light brighten your Way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, Softdreams, Mister D

More
04 Oct 2021 04:16 #593 by Softdreams
I thought of that, too! Since Manifestors have a psychic ability that gives the ectoplasm a shape, I thought: "Maybe it would strain them mentally to maintain the ectoplasm's form while shaping Essence into spells". That's definitely something to give some thought to. All of the points you brought up are excellent and very helpful. I will keep all of these in mind while writing my story. Thank you!

More
04 Oct 2021 04:25 #594 by Softdreams
Thanks for answering, Kristen! I will definitely be checking that out.

I think @cprime phrased it way better than I ever could, "using ectoplasm to bling out the casting process". The Manifestor is already a mage (Wizard: 3, Manifestor: 3). I was wondering if they could use their Manifesting abilities to simulate "fashy" magic. Such as; very simple spells which would usually be invisible to the human naked eye but using their Manifesting abilities to make it look flashy somehow. Or to help themselves into a casting headspace; since he does not have Magesight he would use ecto to draw their sigils on air and stuff to sort of help himself draw things correctly, make 'magic' circles appear out of thin air etc ... Summing things up: concentration techniques.

And some ways in which a character with these two abilities could combine them.

More
04 Oct 2021 09:26 #596 by Kristin Darken
From a magic standpoint, you wouldn't want to use ectoplasm for circles or any similar use. The last thing you want to create a 'barrier' between worlds out of is the stuff that naturally forms when you 'breach' the barrier between worlds. :P

For Flash? sure. and anything connected to impermanence or transitory nature. That would support such spells via Law of Similarity.

In general, though, I think you'll find that 'flashy' magick in the WU is considered extremely poor etiquette ... because of the waste of Essence. No baseline Mage would even 'think' of adding any more inefficiency to their spells... only mutant mages even have the Essence to get away with it... and those who don't have that extra drawing power will resent them showing off that way. BUT, if you DID do it... its still probably easier to do it with inefficient magic than with Manifesting. 'Most' manifestors only have the ability to form a specific material or static object. Armor, a weapon, and in specific forms... those that can do 'illusions' like Beltane and Rose are the rarest of the rare.

So... possible. But highly improbable. And its very likely that teachers will give them all sorts of grief for using it that way. What if they created a link between the abilities in their subconscious... and turned what was 'flash' into something 'required' to make their magic work? Go from drawing cool looking sigils in the air to do showy magic... and suddenly find yourself unable to do magic without the trigger of showy sigils drawn in the air?

Separate note: most mages don't have 'mage sight'. But they DO use very simple spells to provide that ability. Any mage with the Essence to keep it active will. Mages without that Essence available to them don't have the Essence to do anything that would require spellcraft complicated enough to need to see the magick. A Wiz 3 is going to have a fair amount of Essence available to them... enough that they're likely to light their own Well without need for a ceremony/master to do it for them.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, Softdreams

More
05 Oct 2021 21:31 #606 by Softdreams
Thanks, Kristen! And yes, that subconsciously link between these abilities is something I'm aiming for. This will limit his abilities in a way. Well, it's a lot to go into.

And the resentment baseline mages feel toward Wiz-type mages and how using these "Flashy" magics will end up drawing some negative attention and parasitic mages wanting to get their hands on some Essence also plays an important role in the story. Which is funny, because at the beginning there's no magic going on at all. These are all showy illusions, yet his magic aficionado persona enjoys the use of sigils and pentagrams a little too much.

I think we've seen Foxfire and Grimes cast a Magesight spell a couple of times, they make a triangle with their fingers and use it to see/analyze magic. A very interesting spell indeed.

More
05 Oct 2021 21:38 #607 by Softdreams
Let me throw this one question out here *crosses fingers hoping Bek sees this*.

Foxfire and Beltane have done similar tricks in some stories, right? These "blinging out spells with manifestations to make them seem more 'flashier' somehow"?

Unless Foxfire's manifestations are magical in nature, these seem keyed to her magical abilities. And while Beltane mostly does regular manifestations, some of these seem enchanted (scrying spells, hypnotic suggestions) somehow. Ect.

More
05 Oct 2021 23:42 #608 by Mister D

Thanks, Kristen! And yes, that subconsciously link between these abilities is something I'm aiming for. This will limit his abilities in a way. Well, it's a lot to go into.

And the resentment baseline mages feel toward Wiz-type mages and how using these "Flashy" magics will end up drawing some negative attention and parasitic mages wanting to get their hands on some Essence also plays an important role in the story. Which is funny, because at the beginning there's no magic going on at all. These are all showy illusions, yet his magic aficionado persona enjoys the use of sigils and pentagrams a little too much.

I think we've seen Foxfire and Grimes cast a Magesight spell a couple of times, they make a triangle with their fingers and use it to see/analyze magic. A very interesting spell indeed.

This could integrate effectively as a misdirectional covering strategy.

A spell that can be successfully cast via "silent" casting, but is mostly used in public with the bling, would give a measure of deniability to the caster.

Also, look at the scene with Robert Rose replaying a wide range of vignettes from cartoons outside the Crystal Hall, as an example of how manifestors can be creative about their use of ectoplasm. :D

More
08 Oct 2021 22:41 #617 by Astrodragon
Of course, wasting essence to up the 'bling' level of a spell or effect is frowned on by the teachers.
But these are teenagers we are talking

More
08 Oct 2021 23:30 #618 by Softdreams
Yes! it completely takes away the measure of deniability and stealth! I mean, sure, some spells won't be as flashy but there's always something that gives them away. Although, the same can be said for many beginner mages since in order to cast they use spoken spells, sigils, etc.

I've read that scenes a few times, it sure opens my mind up to multiple possibilities. One of my favorite scenes is Beltane's fighting scene in "Ask Not for Whom Belle Tolls"! The way she used her illusions to simulate multiple elements (fire, ice, etc) not to mention Farrago was there, too! It's one of my favorite fighting scenes so far. And Foxfire's in one of the Boston Brawls.

More
08 Oct 2021 23:34 #619 by Softdreams
Absolutely, these are teenagers after all, being flashy about it is a part of it all. And using some Essence to up the 'bling' of a spell does not sound that , at least. Since it's just some 'Light' effect incorporated into an spell. Since most beginner Wiz-type mages start out using Light spells, these must be a breeze for them.

More
09 Oct 2021 23:49 #624 by Kristin Darken
*nods* The standard 'light' spell is one of the most common tools for measuring Essence amounts... which makes it useful for testing new mutant Wizards, as you can quickly judge the type/draw rate on Essence by having them cast as many light spells as needed to keep their Well feeling the same (ie if your Well feels half full, how many light spells can you have sustained around you using as much Essence as is coming in, without the Well depleting or filling). It's not the only consideration (just as measuring how much you can lift isn't the only testing consideration for Exemplar or PK), but its a quick estimate of rank.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, Mister D

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds