New? Arriving? (09 Aug 2021)

Required Reading:

If it is stickied, it is stickied for a reason. Please read it.

× Something wrong? Broken? Having a problem accessing the site, registering, or logging in? Post here.

NOTE: While anyone may post here, these posts will only be seen by Staff. If you try to spam us or use this section maliciously, we will ban your IP... and possibly your entire region. Save us all the hassle and don't do it.

AGAIN: THESE POSTS ARE ONLY VISIBLE TO STAFF UNTIL WE APPROVE THEM FOR VIEW. ONCE YOU POST, YOUR POST WILL NOT BE VISIBLE. EVEN TO YOU.

******** NOTICE as of SEPT 6, 2022 *******
This section is temporarily locked for PUBLIC/GUEST use to reduce spam abuse on the forums. I may reopen it in a while but for now, if you need to contact me about a problem and you don't have a working account to post in the forums; please reach out by email or on Discord. My email can be found with a little effort (reading the forums). - Kristin

Steel Ribbon?

• Anonymous
  • Anonymous's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Nov 2021 01:02 #753 by Anonymous
Steel Ribbon? was created by Anonymous
I decided to re-read Steel Ribbon, so I went to "Read", then clicked "Morpheus" in the sidebar, but I couldn't find the story anywhere in the list. Eventually I did find it using the search, but that seemed harder than it should have been.

Also, while I was doing that, I noticed that A Little R&R (Part 2) and A Little R&R 3 (Part 1) showed tons of HTML as some sort of preview.

Since I can post this here without having to go through the trouble of signing up, I thought I'd do so to let you know.

(Maybe someday I should make an account, I've been lurking for years. But not yet.)

, I miss the compact search from the old site where I could see more than 2 story titles on the screen at a time. The static text list is ok, but it seems it can't be filtered by author and the three-column layout is harder for me to scan.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Nov 2021 22:53 #756 by Kristin Darken
Replied by Kristin Darken on topic Steel Ribbon?
Yes... well, if it were still an option, we'd have it. It isn't. Without coding an entire module to do it, solving whatever problems with security issues that caused the Joomla team to remove it in the first place, etc... there's no way to reproduce it.

I've fixed the two R&R stories. These weren't the first stories that got moved over with glitches... there are tabs for the 'editor' and 'code' for the text of a story... and the best way to copy the format exactly is to move the stories by code/html. But if you forget to click on the tab to drop it in the code panel and instead just paste it to the editor, you get what you saw there. It's just a matter of grabbing it all and moving it to the right panel on the edit page for the story. :) Considering how quickly we moved the stories to the new site, I'm sure there are a number of these sorts of mistakes. We just don't know until someone goes through and looks at all 900+ stories. :)

As to "Steel Ribbon" ...

I'm not sure why you weren't finding it. But I found the same problem when I looked. However, after I poked around a bit... now it DOES appear. So... I fixed it. Maybe? I'm not sure, but it DOES show up now.

As for finding things in the future, I highly recommend the Multi-filter search tool. You can find it on the "Read" page ... it's the module that has several drop down menu options in one line. for Steel Ribbon, for example, you could set the Author option to Morpheus, the Category to Original Timeline, the Tag option to Ribbon (all stories are tagged with the codename and common use name of their protagonist), and then add the word Steel in to the keywords box. When I did that, it brought up only two options, one of which is "Steel Ribbon".

Fate guard you, and may the Light brighten your Way.

More
08 Nov 2021 22:59 #757 by Kristin Darken
Replied by Kristin Darken on topic Steel Ribbon?
Separate note... why not register?

If you're worried about anonymity, there's no requirement here to use your real name or your usual email address... and the only person who has access to any more detail than that are the senior admins (we can see IP addresses). If you create a gmail account to use for the site to verify and send any alerts or subscription info, you can still be virtually anonymous. And you can make the occasional thank you post in the forums... which is a bigger deal than most realize, because thank yous and simple comments about the stories is the primary fuel for web-fiction authors.

Fate guard you, and may the Light brighten your Way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: null0trooper, Mister D

Time to create page: 0.034 seconds