New? Arriving? (09 Aug 2021)

Required Reading:

If it is stickied, it is stickied for a reason. Please read it.

× Something wrong? Broken? Having a problem accessing the site, registering, or logging in? Post here.

NOTE: While anyone may post here, these posts will only be seen by Staff. If you try to spam us or use this section maliciously, we will ban your IP... and possibly your entire region. Save us all the hassle and don't do it.

AGAIN: THESE POSTS ARE ONLY VISIBLE TO STAFF UNTIL WE APPROVE THEM FOR VIEW. ONCE YOU POST, YOUR POST WILL NOT BE VISIBLE. EVEN TO YOU.

******** NOTICE as of SEPT 6, 2022 *******
This section is temporarily locked for PUBLIC/GUEST use to reduce spam abuse on the forums. I may reopen it in a while but for now, if you need to contact me about a problem and you don't have a working account to post in the forums; please reach out by email or on Discord. My email can be found with a little effort (reading the forums). - Kristin

May I help?

More
23 Sep 2022 07:26 #2393 by MxC
May I help? was created by MxC
    I started reading the stories approximately a month ago. I started at the top of the list and have been working my way through them in what I hope is chronological order. I have yet to find a story or an author I don't like. I am at Insanity prerequisite (Part 2). I can't think of a good way to say
    I want to help, if that is permitted.
    When I read anything, the story tends to drag me in, and my internal special effects department produces a movie for me. Whenever I run into errors (spelling, grammar, certain factual issues), everything stops for a moment. This makes me a good proofreader, I feel that I can contribute by assisting in this capacity.  I am not gifted with an active imagination, in other words, I'll never be an author, so I get to do the staff work.
    I realize that at one level, this would allow me access to the administrative part of the site. Between the non-mainstream gender subject matter and what seems to be a history of attempts to damage the site, I understand there will be some trepidation about allowing a newcomer access.
    If you don't want to risk it, no worries, I'll just tell my internal VFX department of shut up and get back to work. If you want to see if I can actually do the job, you can send a story to my email address as a .txt file, which I will proofread, correct, and return to you within a week( I work nights, four days per week), and we can go from there.
    I am not trying to pressure anyone, nor am I saying that the writers are bad writers, because they are not. I think all of the authors have talent, certainly much more than I do in that area.
    If you decide to ignore this message, that is also acceptable.  I will continue to read and enjoy the stories.

Respectfully,
MxC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Sep 2022 04:58 #2403 by Kristin Darken
Replied by Kristin Darken on topic May I help?

I started reading the stories approximately a month ago. I started at the top of the list and have been working my way through them in what I hope is chronological order. I have yet to find a story or an author I don't like.
Welcome!

I want to help, if that is permitted. ... , I understand there will be some trepidation about allowing a newcomer access.

Ya, and to be fair; even most of the canon authors and staff have somewhat limited access to site administration side of things. But it's not really necessary to assist in the ways that are most necessary.

you can send a story to my email address as a .txt file, which I will proofread, correct, and return to you within a week( I work nights, four days per week), and we can go from there.

Much of the proofing / editing side of the work here is done 'offline' in the sense that background info and the actual writing is done locally by each author and only uploaded to the site for publication once it is ready to go. That part of the process is fairly streamlined and Dan handles it these days, leaving only the actual site admin stuff for me to do. Since that is mostly updates and security, it's not something I'd be comfortable delegating anyway...

If you decide to ignore this message, that is also acceptable.  I will continue to read and enjoy the stories.

I hope you do continue to read and enjoy. However, if you DO want to offer some proofing, early feedback, and/or editing support; the best way to do that is to directly contact one or more authors and offer your time and effort. I'm sure someone will take you up on the offer, especially if you're good at giving feedback... it's often one of the toughest things to get, because most of the best feedback tends to come from the other authors and we can get caught up in our own projects and don't prioritize (or have time for) reviewing each other's work.

Fate guard you, and may the Light brighten your Way.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.040 seconds