New? Arriving? (09 Aug 2021)

Required Reading:

If it is stickied, it is stickied for a reason. Please read it.

× Stories about the Original Timeline (which runs from Fall 2006 to Spring 2010) can be found here. Also in the OT are those stories that are outside the main time frame set for them but whose protagonists are part of the student body during this time.

A Strange Fairytale

More
11 Jan 2022 02:48 #1140 by Dan Formerly Domoviye
Discussion thread for A Strange Fairytale
Part 1 can be found here .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wavehead, Mister D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2022 03:13 #1141 by Wavehead
Replied by Wavehead on topic A Strange Fairytale
Waiting with baited breath for PART Two err….. Please :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Maladyusted, Dan Formerly Domoviye

More
11 Jan 2022 03:21 #1142 by Dan Formerly Domoviye
It's half written.
And I think it might even be better than part 1.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Maladyusted, Wavehead, Mister D

More
11 Jan 2022 04:04 #1143 by mhalpern
Replied by mhalpern on topic A Strange Fairytale
Somehow you've made her origin at least as disturbing as the original origin, while simultaneously being far less bloody and more comedic.

Micro scenes and bad ideas are freely adoptable
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dan Formerly Domoviye

More
11 Jan 2022 04:06 #1144 by Dan Formerly Domoviye
Thank you.
When I started writing this I made a rule, most of her stories would need at least one funny/happy scene for every sad/horrific scene. As a psychological horror/comedy, I think it works.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, mhalpern, Mister D

More
11 Jan 2022 05:47 #1145 by Dreamer
Replied by Dreamer on topic A Strange Fairytale
SPOILER ALERT
Below is a stream of conscious commentary I type up as I read the story. There will be details from the story included in it. If you have not read the story yet and don't wish to have details of it spoiled, read no further.

A Strange Fairytale Part 1 comments
Warning: Spoiler!

Thank You for the story comments appreciated and help me know they are being read and liked. :-) Note: My story comments can't nor are trying to replace reading the stories, simply my way of enjoying them and letting the authors know I enjoy them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: null0trooper, Dan Formerly Domoviye

More
11 Jan 2022 07:09 - 11 Jan 2022 07:12 #1146 by Dan Formerly Domoviye
Thanks Dreamer, that was fun to read.

My responses in no particular order.

-The cuffs holding Miss Powerful were a devise. Basically an ultra strong magnet holding her to the chair.

- Yes I was watching a lot of Looney Toons when I wrote this. Needed to get the right amount of comedy and slapstick to the story and I decided to go to the best.

- Let's just say Burgermeister had a very active 1990's. We'll learn a bit of what he did in the future.

-Rose is a gadgeteer, and her powers are similar but not nearly as strong as Loopholes. Even when she had her full power she wasn't at that level.

- He experimented a lot to perfect his Transmographier and brainwashing devise. The Goblins were his male test subjects, the elves his female ones.

-The stalls would be for centaurs, not unicorns. He's confused, and severely F'd in the head, but even he realizes that turning people into animals is wrong.

- Getting Yeti's as officially in Whateley made me smile.

- With Marni, Teri is working almost on autopilot. Repeating things without really understanding them beyond the most basic level, even the drink was her remembering Rose giving her a drink of water as she woke up.

- And Marni calling for help didn't really snap Teri out of her unthinking panic, merely turned the panic attack into a psychotic rage. As soon as she told everyone to evacuate, sanity left the building.

Thanks again for the fun commentary. It and the other comments make the tears shed writing this worthwhile.
I think you'll enjoy Part 2, which should be coming in February.
And here's the picture for ASF2.

Attachments:
Last edit: 11 Jan 2022 07:12 by Dan Formerly Domoviye.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Maladyusted, Dreamer, mhalpern

More
11 Jan 2022 13:16 #1147 by mhalpern
Replied by mhalpern on topic A Strange Fairytale
We only know the devise used to transform them worked 25 times, how many times did it fail, BIT manipulation generally has a very low survival rate. Compounding the issue, he may think he's being cleaver using MCO offices as hunting grounds, but that just obscures which ones are actually the bad ones for anyone trying to investigate by polluting the incidents of disappearances with bad data from 3rd party interference. He needs to be taken down and he better have taken good records on where and when his victims were taken, or he'll just be blamed for all the disappearances. Even if we know the Gen 1 attempts to clean up the MCO ultimately fail, we know by Gen 2 there's AI, AI given a clean dataset can go a long ways towards discovering the truth. An AI can correlate powers testing and registration, missing persons, and social media data, in ways humans would take eons to and likely miss important details. Bad data however can be a red herring, and cause erroneous bias in results, something real world Machine Learning algorithms have issues with when there's a biased (deliberate or not) training data.

Micro scenes and bad ideas are freely adoptable
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dan Formerly Domoviye, Dreamer

More
11 Jan 2022 17:04 #1150 by Dan Formerly Domoviye
Burgermeister mentions the Bit problem near the end.
'They'd find him a mutant without an annoying bit, and then he would add one more child to his safe and happy home.'

So he may have had a few problems with Bits in the past, or he might have realized the problem at the start and simply avoided it. I'll let the readers decide that for themselves.

As for finding out who his victims are... spoilers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Maladyusted, Dreamer

More
11 Jan 2022 17:06 - 11 Jan 2022 17:08 #1151 by Maladyusted
Replied by Maladyusted on topic A Strange Fairytale
I'll assume he was smart / clear-headed enough to realize the problem at the start.

Whether all of his victims were all Americans... Or at least able to speak English, depends on whether the brainwasher can implant a language...
Last edit: 11 Jan 2022 17:08 by Maladyusted.

More
11 Jan 2022 17:25 #1152 by Dan Formerly Domoviye
That may or may not come up in the future.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Maladyusted

More
13 Jan 2022 10:59 - 13 Jan 2022 11:01 #1158 by Valentine
Replied by Valentine on topic A Strange Fairytale
I think this fairytale is broken, perhaps even fractured. 🤔

The story goes places I did not expect. The beach, the Himalayas, LA, the Sahara. The Looneyness was expected.

I'm not sure which origin is more disturbing, this or the original.
Last edit: 13 Jan 2022 11:01 by Valentine.

More
13 Jan 2022 17:03 #1159 by Dan Formerly Domoviye
Thank you.
Just wait, you'll discover this is MUCH more disturbing than the original.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Maladyusted, Mister D

More
15 Mar 2022 00:24 #1459 by DanZilla
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dan Formerly Domoviye, Mister D

More
15 Mar 2022 03:58 #1460 by Dreamer
Replied by Dreamer on topic A Strange Fairytale
SPOILER ALERT
Below is a stream of conscious commentary I type up as I read the story. There will be details from the story included in it. If you have not read the story yet and don't wish to have details of it spoiled, read no further.

A Strange Fairytale Part 2 comments
Warning: Spoiler!

Thank You for the story comments appreciated and help me know they are being read and liked. :-) Note: My story comments can't nor are trying to replace reading the stories, simply my way of enjoying them and letting the authors know I enjoy them.

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds