New? Arriving? (09 Aug 2021)

Required Reading:

If it is stickied, it is stickied for a reason. Please read it.

× Stories about the Original Timeline (which runs from Fall 2006 to Spring 2010) can be found here. Also in the OT are those stories that are outside the main time frame set for them but whose protagonists are part of the student body during this time.

Sanguine: Into the darkness.

More
10 May 2022 00:10 #1712 by Rosalie Redd
Whatcha think? Let us know. Any ideas or thoughts?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 May 2022 01:22 - 10 May 2022 01:41 #1713 by Maladyusted
Short notes... Starts sad, ends happy!

Warning: Spoiler!

First time trying spoiler code here, IIRC. Does it work? Nope yet again, but raid a Dreamer Post to get the code. mmm
Last edit: 10 May 2022 01:41 by Maladyusted.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer

More
10 May 2022 01:31 #1714 by Dan Formerly Domoviye
Sorry, I'm very confused.
What story did you read?

More
10 May 2022 01:41 #1715 by Maladyusted
The cyborg thing? I was talking about:

More
10 May 2022 01:44 #1716 by Rosalie Redd
I don't think that makes you a cyborg. it's like saying I am a cyborg for having titanium rods implanted in my hip and pelvis from when I was hit by a car.

More
10 May 2022 01:46 #1717 by Dan Formerly Domoviye
Going by the most basic definition, you are a cyborg.

Hopefully you're a good cyborg and don't want to eliminate all non-cybernetic life.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Maladyusted

More
10 May 2022 02:51 #1718 by Dreamer
SPOILER ALERT
Below is a stream of conscious commentary I type up as I read the story. There will be details from the story included in it. If you have not read the story yet and don't wish to have details of it spoiled, read no further.

Sanguine: Into the Darkness comments

Thank You for the story comments appreciated and help me know they are being read and liked. :-) Note: My story comments can't nor are trying to replace reading the stories, simply my way of enjoying them and letting the authors know I enjoy them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Maladyusted, null0trooper, Dan Formerly Domoviye, Hardric62

More
10 May 2022 12:12 - 10 May 2022 12:12 #1720 by Hardric62
Interesting new story.

Last edit: 10 May 2022 12:12 by Hardric62.

More
10 May 2022 13:14 #1721 by Maladyusted
Oh yeah! Same!

I wonder where the story's going... "Hidden Child tutored by bribed-to-keep-quiet hired tutors" is an option I've seen at least twice.

More
11 May 2022 03:20 - 11 May 2022 03:22 #1723 by Schol-R-LEA
Given Gladys' repeated slips about Jobe's gender, I am assuming that this is Gen 1, or somewhere between the two main series (say, around 2011-12). Which means that Eve might have been in Guido's grip since around 1982, given that she said it was over 25 years.
Last edit: 11 May 2022 03:22 by Schol-R-LEA.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rosalie Redd, Dan Formerly Domoviye

More
11 May 2022 03:47 #1724 by Rosalie Redd
you are correct. and bonus points for realizing it was Jobe's Aunt Gladys.

More
17 May 2022 00:51 - 17 May 2022 00:54 #1747 by Naldru
Replied by Naldru on topic Sanguine: Into the darkness.
Look at the Wikipedia article on "Cyborg"

I have stainless steel pieces embedded in my leg where it broke in three places. The behavior, shape, and properties of these pieces are not affected by other parts of my body. Therefore, the Wikipedia article would say that I am not a cyborg. However, I have joked that "I am a man of very little steel".

I would argue that an artificial insulin pump that is embedded in the body and varies the amount of insulin according to measurements of the glucose level of the blood results in cyborg. There is a feedback relationship in this case.

A person with a demand pacemaker could also be viewed as cyborg since irregularities in heart function triggers electrical activity which tries to return cardiac function to normal.

Now, a device that temporarily or permanently attaches to the body and feeds information to an external device only has data going from the body to the artificial device, with no feedback from the device to the body. Therefore, I wouldn't view this as a cyborg. When they put me in a hospital bed and attached sensors measuring cardiac and pulmonary activity, that is not a cyborg.

With regard to underground dwellers, there was an episode some years ago where there was a group of homeless people that kept being seen on Park Avenue in New York City. Nobody could determine where they were spending the night until somebody spotted them going through a mysterious door. The train tracks to Grand Central Station go under Park Avenue and there were a number of abandoned mechanical and electrical rooms under the street. (When newer equipment was installed, it was often so much smaller than the old equipment that it left large amounts of empty space.)
Last edit: 17 May 2022 00:54 by Naldru.

More
17 May 2022 05:02 #1749 by Commander Knight
Technically it's Grand Central Terminal not station. 😋

More
17 May 2022 11:41 #1751 by DanZilla

Thanks, I missed that one in editing. I blame popular media.

More
17 May 2022 15:14 #1752 by Court
Replied by Court on topic Sanguine: Into the darkness.

Thanks, I missed that one in editing. I blame popular media.

Until today, I had not realized that the official name of Grand Central Station was Grand Central Terminal. All my life I have called it Grand Central Station, and that is what I usually hear. Wikipedia says "It has 'always been more colloquially and affectionately known as Grand Central Station", the name of its immediate predecessor that operated from 1900 to 1910 '" So calling it Grand Central Station is fine.

Time to create page: 0.073 seconds