New? Arriving? (09 Aug 2021)

Required Reading:

If it is stickied, it is stickied for a reason. Please read it.

× Stories about the Original Timeline (which runs from Fall 2006 to Spring 2010) can be found here. Also in the OT are those stories that are outside the main time frame set for them but whose protagonists are part of the student body during this time.

Sanguine: Into the darkness.

More
17 May 2022 21:45 #1758 by Naldru
Replied by Naldru on topic Sanguine: Into the darkness.
I can only blame lack of sleep on the name of the station. However, you might want to look at The Big Apple Comes With Calamari (Part 3). You will find the term "Grand Central Station" mentioned four times, and that is where they board the train to Boston. I remember posting something in the forums about that, but I can't find it at the moment. IRL, the train for Boston leaves from Pennsylvania Station. Grand Central Terminal was the end point for the New York Central railroad, that being the source of the name ("terminal" because it's an end point, "central" for New York Central Railroad) There had been plans for a while to have a tunnel dug from Grand Central Terminal to Pennsylvania Station and have the Amtrak trains stop at Grand Central Terminal instead of Pennsylvania Station. If that had been carried out, it would have been correct to have them boarding the train for Boston at Grand Central Station, as it would no longer have been a terminal station. As it happened, they used an abandoned freight line to have the Amtrak trains that had gone to Grand Central Terminal go to Pennsylvania Station itself. Although I couldn't find the old post, I have absolutely no excuse for calling it Grand Central Station. (Especially since I worked for Amtrak for a few years.)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 May 2022 22:21 #1760 by DanZilla

I can only blame lack of sleep on the name of the station. However, you might want to look at The Big Apple Comes With Calamari (Part 3). You will find the term "Grand Central Station" mentioned four times, and that is where they board the train to Boston. I remember posting something in the forums about that, but I can't find it at the moment. IRL, the train for Boston leaves from Pennsylvania Station. Grand Central Terminal was the end point for the New York Central railroad, that being the source of the name ("terminal" because it's an end point, "central" for New York Central Railroad) There had been plans for a while to have a tunnel dug from Grand Central Terminal to Pennsylvania Station and have the Amtrak trains stop at Grand Central Terminal instead of Pennsylvania Station. If that had been carried out, it would have been correct to have them boarding the train for Boston at Grand Central Station, as it would no longer have been a terminal station. As it happened, they used an abandoned freight line to have the Amtrak trains that had gone to Grand Central Terminal go to Pennsylvania Station itself. Although I couldn't find the old post, I have absolutely no excuse for calling it Grand Central Station. (Especially since I worked for Amtrak for a few years.)

Thanks, I know when we write our stories (or edit in my case) we tend to stick to what we know and in many cases it comes from popular media in the case of well known places and what they are called. In this case we went with the Grand Central Station name for it. If we'd used Grand Central Terminal, I can guarantee you we would have confused more people than our use of Grand Central Station.

More
17 May 2022 22:33 #1761 by Rosalie Redd
Exactly as Dan said. Sitting here in the Midwest, I don't know much about it beyond pop culture. We do research details when we can, to try to get things right. I dissected a lot of the Minneapolis stuff in Sphere's origin story for inaccuracy before I joined the writing staff. Still, we do try. I looked up the subway stations for the portion about closures.

More
17 May 2022 22:50 #1762 by Astrodragon
Remember that while the Whateley universe often resembles ours, it is NOT identical. There are all sorts of small changes. Like the names of stations :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dan Formerly Domoviye

More
05 Sep 2022 23:59 #2347 by DanZilla
Sanguine 2: From Darkness to Light can be found in the Gen 1 section or by using the link below... and please remember our authors are doing this for the response they get... please leave comments where you can for appreciated stories or if you have anything to bring to the conversation of written word and readers.

whateley.academy/index.php/read/story/sa...om-darkness-to-light
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wavehead, Mister D

More
06 Sep 2022 02:36 #2353 by Dreamer
SPOILER ALERT
Below is a stream of conscious commentary I type up as I read the story. There will be details from the story included in it. If you have not read the story yet and don't wish to have details of it spoiled, read no further.

Sanguine 2: From Darkness to Light comments
Warning: Spoiler!

Thank You for the story comments appreciated and help me know they are being read and liked. :-) Note: My story comments can't nor are trying to replace reading the stories, simply my way of enjoying them and letting the authors know I enjoy them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rosalie Redd, null0trooper, Dan Formerly Domoviye

More
06 Sep 2022 02:57 #2354 by Rosalie Redd
Thank you for your Comments Dreamer. We writers truly do love them. They sometimes do even give us story ideas. One thing that I should point out. Tatiana Hughes, aka Setup is Knockoff's mother. It's a little ironic that they had this meeting, because the events of how Knockoff came to be who she is start the day after this meeting.

More
06 Sep 2022 19:45 - 06 Sep 2022 19:46 #2372 by mhalpern
never mind

did like the "taken" codename Val tried, nice nod

Micro scenes and bad ideas are freely adoptable
Last edit: 06 Sep 2022 19:46 by mhalpern.

Time to create page: 0.059 seconds