New? Arriving? (09 Aug 2021)

Required Reading:

If it is stickied, it is stickied for a reason. Please read it.

× This section is for Second Generation stories, predominantly from the student body from Fall of 2016 to Spring of 2020.

Fire Over Phoenix

More
31 May 2022 04:18 #1832 by Valentine
Replied by Valentine on topic Fire Over Phoenix
Fenek has much more strength and agility than I expected. I didn't expect her to be in the throw adult men around level of strength. She is going to be frightening in a few more years, if she survives. Too bad she's not getting tortured by Ito and company.

Note: Do not piss off the dragon, for you are fragile and flammable (and so are nearby things, like the planet). I wonder if any other evidence survived.

Please start a new paragraph with new a speaker. It pulls me out of the story when I have to stop reading to figure out what the conversation was.

“Clear,” she whispered, once the person had left not only the hallway but the building. “What exactly are you doing?” Thulia asked. “Trying to sniff out Azar or the man who attacked me,” she said.

That happens in a couple places.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dan Formerly Domoviye, Dreamer

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 May 2022 04:22 #1833 by Dan Formerly Domoviye
Sorry about the paragraphs, my fault not doing a better edit before it was posted.
It won't happen again.

And thanks for the comment.
Fanak's change in size doesn't change her weight. The excess mass makes her bones and muscles extremely dense, so she's much stronger and durable than she looks. Still not a brick, but a monster in close combat.

More
31 May 2022 05:00 #1834 by Dreamer
Replied by Dreamer on topic Fire Over Phoenix
SPOILER ALERT
Below is a stream of conscious commentary I type up as I read the story. There will be details from the story included in it. If you have not read the story yet and don't wish to have details of it spoiled, read no further.

Fires Over Phoenix Part 2 comments
Warning: Spoiler!

Thank You for the story comments appreciated and help me know they are being read and liked. :-) Note: My story comments can't nor are trying to replace reading the stories, simply my way of enjoying them and letting the authors know I enjoy them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: null0trooper, Dan Formerly Domoviye

More
31 May 2022 06:21 - 31 May 2022 06:41 #1835 by Dan Formerly Domoviye
Whoo Hoo! Another commentary thread!

Warning: Spoiler!

Thanks as always for putting so much effort into these comments.
Last edit: 31 May 2022 06:41 by Dan Formerly Domoviye.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, Darkmuse

More
31 May 2022 11:42 #1836 by Astrodragon
Replied by Astrodragon on topic Fire Over Phoenix
Thankyou as always for the comments, Dreamer.

Don't worry, I'm sure the were-gerbil will pop up again!

A dragon in fuzzy slippers? Really??

No, Thulia can't sense emotions (not a Dragon trait), but given how upset Azar's parents are, it isn't exactly hard.

Thulia doesn't think he spell is hard. Magic is treated something like maths here for students - its a compulsory subject. But Thulia is that annoying girl who aces all the parts and then takes on some extra advanced stuff ready for University, Azar's father is the kid who scraped through at 16 and hasnt touched the subject since. Nothing amazing about either, but quite a contrast.

The big spell diagram is because its two parts. The outer part is to suppress Azar's influence in the house from interfering with detecting where she actually is.

Would some students at Whateley have picked up Thulia's unusual smell? Yes, but its considered bad form to mention it, and going around sniffing at people gets you smacked.

Dimensional storage spaces are indeed convenient, but hard to make and organise. Thulia has the one, holding her outfit and her equipment chest, not much room (or mass) for other stuff.

Thulia is a skilled, powerful mage by human standards. But there is a lot more to being powerful than that. A Dragons Tail 2 (being written, and slightly out of sequence) show her Whateley tests and also her list of weaknesses (which is rather large).

No, no magic inside the base, its just a warren with a confusing layout. They just had the magic shell around teh building to stop mages peeking in and noticing the place (and also damping down the emissions of fear when they did their work on their captives)

El Scorpio (yes, he'll be back!) actually is pretty good at taking out mages for his power level. A mage is always a useful capture, if nothing else they can be sold as essence batteries. His attack sequence is actually good, and if Thulia had been human, it would have worked. Get them in close range (mages much prefer range, where they have the advantage, even Thulia prefers it). Take out the lights, use a flash/bank to disorientate and blind, take down their shield (while a mage can keep a shield up and keep powering it, in combat this tends not to work, so the common tactic is to power up a shield, and if it goes down due to too much use, cast a new one). Then CS gas (which in a close space and high concentration is very disabling), then iron filings - take out a sidhe, upset and make it harder for a normal mage, plus getting filings into the eyes is seriously unpleasant). By this point, the mage should be unable to see well, if at all, and that makes it so much easier for him. The multiple attacks allow for the mage countering one (as Thulia's flame did the gas), but another one should still get them. Not many mages can simply melt those iron filings out of their eyes. It wasn't his fault he wasnt facing a mutant with GSD but a dragon!

El Scorpio is tougher than a baseline, and he very nearly died (would have if he hadnt been rescued); as it is, he'll be months recovering, and he'll have scars.

Yes, this is a regional centre for FrankenCorp, they have others bases. They are heavily concealed, they have a cell structure, and whicl this will hurt them, it wont stop them.

Thulia's fire tonado is about the most damaging spell/attack she has. Note it took her a few minutes to ramp it up, and she used most of her remaining essence in controlling and channelling the fire. She felt it was worth it...

Thulia actually missed a bet with Books book (but Dom will be explaining that in his stories). She just noted a link to a powerful something, and warned book. A human mage might have been much more emphatic about the potential danger, but Thulia isn't her mom, and assumes its Books call to make and to screw up.

Thulia will need some counselling, yes, or something similar. She's young, and rather gentle (for a dragoness), and this sort of thing has an impact on her.

There will actually be continuations of the story and it's fall-out for both Fanac and Thulia, but these will be in separate stories.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer

More
31 May 2022 18:40 #1839 by Valentine
Wasn't this rescue the Gen 1 Spring Combat Final? More or less, the two random person rescue.

More
31 May 2022 18:43 #1840 by Astrodragon

Wasn't this rescue the Gen 1 Spring Combat Final? More or less, the two random person rescue.

Errr.. no. Also I dont think they blew up the Arena in the Combat Final :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dan Formerly Domoviye

More
31 May 2022 19:01 #1841 by Dan Formerly Domoviye

There was also significantly less murder and horror in the combat final.

More
31 May 2022 19:04 #1842 by Astrodragon

True. Although suggesting the losing student got eaten by the winner would have enlivened the competition

More
31 May 2022 19:08 #1843 by Dan Formerly Domoviye

True. Although suggesting the losing student got eaten by the winner would have enlivened the competition

What type of eating are we talking about? 3 Course meal? JimmyT envelopment and digesting? Or the fun naked kind of eating?

More
31 May 2022 19:11 #1844 by Astrodragon

What type of eating are we talking about? 3 Course meal? JimmyT envelopment and digesting? Or the fun naked kind of eating?[/quote

Maybe a barbeque?

More
31 May 2022 20:26 #1845 by Valentine

Odds ands Ends 1 wrote: Staff Sergeant Ryan Wilson cleared his throat. "As I was about to say, we have significant randomness in this year's finals because of the scenario, which is hostage rescue ..."

"I still think it's a bad idea," Gunny Bardue grumbled.

Wilson ignored the irascible old Marine. "...set up in a way that the students almost certainly must cooperate to accomplish the rescue. Part of their grade will be how well they work with their opponent ..."

I don't know, a hostage rescue where the students need to cooperate? Sounds like Thulia and Fenek rescuing hostages through cooperating.

Loophole blew up the arena at the end Fall semester.

More
31 May 2022 20:29 #1846 by Astrodragon

Odds ands Ends 1 wrote: Staff Sergeant Ryan Wilson cleared his throat. "As I was about to say, we have significant randomness in this year's finals because of the scenario, which is hostage rescue ..."

Wilson ignored the irascible old Marine. "...set up in a way that the students almost certainly must cooperate to accomplish the rescue. Part of their grade will be how well they work with their opponent ..."

I don't know, a hostage rescue where the students need to cooperate? Sounds like Thulia and Fenek rescuing hostages through cooperating.

IIRC, she just zorched the electronics, she didnt actually set off a fire tonado in the centre...
Thulia isn't going to be allowed to use her fire in the Arena...

More
31 May 2022 20:38 #1847 by Dan Formerly Domoviye

OK there are similarities. But we didn't think of that when we came up with the idea.

More
01 Jun 2022 03:01 #1849 by Valentine

OK there are similarities. But we didn't think of that when we came up with the idea.

I wasn't accusing you of plagiarism or anything. I just found it amusing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dan Formerly Domoviye

Time to create page: 0.087 seconds