New? Arriving? (09 Aug 2021)

Required Reading:

If it is stickied, it is stickied for a reason. Please read it.

× This section is for Second Generation stories, predominantly from the student body from Fall of 2016 to Spring of 2020.

Born in Fire

More
18 Jan 2022 02:37 #1169 by mhalpern
Replied by mhalpern on topic Born in Fire
Ahh the only thing teens fear more than angry parents, parents wanting to meet the person they like

Micro scenes and bad ideas are freely adoptable

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jan 2022 02:54 #1170 by Astrodragon
Replied by Astrodragon on topic Born in Fire

Ahh the only thing teens fear more than angry parents, parents wanting to meet the person they like

And yes, that is going to happen (no matter how much the girls try and run!)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, mhalpern

More
18 Jan 2022 03:47 #1171 by Dreamer
Replied by Dreamer on topic Born in Fire
SPOILER ALERT
Below is a stream of conscious commentary I type up as I read the story. There will be details from the story included in it. If you have not read the story yet and don't wish to have details of it spoiled, read no further.

Born in Fire Part 4 comments
Warning: Spoiler!

Thank You for the story comments appreciated and help me know they are being read and liked. :-) Note: My story comments can't nor are trying to replace reading the stories, simply my way of enjoying them and letting the authors know I enjoy them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Astrodragon, null0trooper, Dan Formerly Domoviye, mhalpern

More
18 Jan 2022 04:22 #1172 by Court
Replied by Court on topic Born in Fire

The effort of pulling so much power into and through her well and energy channels in such a short space of time had strained her somewhat - she hadn't done that to herself for a long time

I find it somewhat alarming that this Thulia seems to have strained herself this badly at least once before, and something about that phrasing suggests that it happened several times.

Bruce gave that some thought. "Morgana is more careful than Thulia - OK, that isn't a high standard to pass!

Thulia is intelligent, honorable, brave, and a whole host of other good attributes, but if she doesn't learn a little caution, she is far too likely to kill herself.

"There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old, bold pilots." E. Hamilton Lee, 1949
I think the same statement applies to mages.

More
18 Jan 2022 11:10 #1175 by Astrodragon

The effort of pulling so much power into and through her well and energy channels in such a short space of time had strained her somewhat - she hadn't done that to herself for a long time

I find it somewhat alarming that this Thulia seems to have strained herself this badly at least once before, and something about that phrasing suggests that it happened several times.

Bruce gave that some thought. "Morgana is more careful than Thulia - OK, that isn't a high standard to pass!

Thulia is intelligent, honorable, brave, and a whole host of other good attributes, but if she doesn't learn a little caution, she is far too likely to kill herself.

"There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old, bold pilots." E. Hamilton Lee, 1949
I think the same statement applies to mages.

Straining yourselft through over-exertion is never good, but it happens sometimes and as long as you let yourself recover, no lasting harm done.

Thulia, reckless? :D Just because shes the Fire Plane poster child for 'Turn it up to 11!' ?
She's perfectly sensible, by the standards of the Whateley Workshop. Oh, wait....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Court

More
18 Jan 2022 13:37 #1176 by Astrodragon
Dreamer, as always thanks for your commentary.

Quite a few points to answer on (in chronological order) :
(1) Yes, Caitlin usually doesn't phrase her comments in the most delicate way possible...

(2) The damage done to Morgana in the expulsion was effectively terminal - it was only Thulia's prompt aid that saved her life (again), but Thulia was expecting something like this, fortunately.
(3) You may consider Bruce a fatherly figure. I suspect he sees himself more as a keeper :D
(4) Tanau silly; Well, she is a grandmother. On the other hand, remember who was responsible for arranging Abraxus spent the rest of his death neck-deep in boiling blood...
(5) The Cult isn't a lesser cult. It's organised into groups (tentacles??), and is mainly centred in Western Europe. The experiment was being run by Abraxus, who was an Adept on the ruling council using the local branch, so when it all fell apart the damage was limited (as far as the Cult is concerned). That also explains why the council is following up the matter.
(6) A, the mysterious (tm) group of people in the Fire Plane! :D You'll find out more about what they are planning over the next couple of stories.
(7) Caitlin does not fit any of the stories and legends they have about Artificers. So not only is there interest in her as one (because everyone thought they were extinct), but she doesn't act as expected. When this applies to something as powerful as an Artificer, people take notice.
(8) Faryngagrax is from the Plane of Fire, he isn't a demon. He's just been hanging out (in secret) on Earth for a while.
(9) Info on Whateley isn't that hard to find, especially if you have an idea where to dig. Hero groups, Villains, the military, government agencies all know about it. As do the main media/newspapers, but seeing whos involved they do as suggested and keep quiet. Some papers likely bring Whateley up occasionally, but these are the sort of papers with the healines 'Elvis Ate my Hampster', so not much notice taken.
(10) Samhain is a Wiccan Fire Festival, hence the arrangements. You will see more of St. Ninian's at some point... :D
(11) It's going to take a while for Thulia to tell Morgana her parents want to meet her. Likewise for Morgana with her parents.
(12) Entertainment not a good source for real life? But it worked fine for Galaxy Express! Oh, wait...
(13) As I've now finished the arc of 4 stories on Thulia's introduction and how she met Morgana, their stories will now overlap a lot more. So next up is 'Where There's Smoke There's Fire part 4', with (mainly) Morgana's point of view.

You want to see more of Tanau! I keep creating these throwaway characters and you want to se more of them! *sob*
I'll see what I can do.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreamer, Mister D

Time to create page: 0.070 seconds